BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Oil leak from waterpump area Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:05 am

DanT56

DanT56
I've installed a new waterpump on my 87 K100 and used a form-a-gasket suitable for oil and a form-a-gasket suitable for waterpumps on the cover of the waterpump. All bolts have the proper torque and it all looked good.

After a couple of minutes of running the bike I see numerous oil leaks that appear to come from the waterpump. I had a good layer of the form-a-gasket when I assembled the new waterpump and when everything was tightened up I let it sit for about 12 hours before refilling the oil and coolant. 
So, where can this oil be coming from? Should there be a thread sealant on the bolts?

Should I have used a different gasket maker?

2Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:59 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
DanT56 wrote: I had a good layer of the form-a-gasket when I assembled the new waterpump and when everything was tightened up I let it sit for about 12 hours before refilling the oil and coolant. 
Which product did you use?

Generally what is recommended is a narrow bead, not a good layer. Good layer implies applying like mortar on a brick. Smile  A narrow bead is usually sufficient when the correct product is used.

The sealing surface must be absolutely clean and dry before applying sealant. Three Bond (Dreibond) 1209 is BMW's recommendation; I've used Permatex Ultra Black successfully, bolting up parts immediately and operating them in 24 hours or so.

3Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
There shouldn't be a problem with getting it to seal. I use pretty much any old RTV sealant, but cleanliness/degreasing helps, as does letting it stand for 20 mins finger tight, before applying final torque, also let the sealant cure...as has been said.

BUT.....

If the screws have previously been overtightened then you could be on a hiding to nothing. Overtightening can distort the cover, and it can pull the threads up on the pump body. This then prevents proper mating of the surfaces. You can check by putting a sheet of 400grit on a flat plate (a mirror is good) and rubbing the cover on it. The pump body is more difficult if it isn't stripped and off the bike, but you can wrap some 400grit around a small flat block and gently rub the threaded holes - you'll soon see if they have been pulled up.

4Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:38 am

DanT56

DanT56
Laitch, I cleaned the mating surfaces real good and wiped down with rubbing alcohol and I thought I gave it enough time to dry. I did not put a 1/8" bead down but I did put a generous amount of Permatex Ultra Black and then spread it out with my finger to form a uniform coating. When I remove the pump again I'll use the BMW Three Bond 1209.

Chris, if the cover was distorted wouldn't I have a problem with coolant leaking?

The biggest pain with dealing with the waterpump is having to push the rubber plug cover through the little hole.

5Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:25 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Cover has coolant and not oil behind it.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

6Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
DanT56 wrote: I did not put a 1/8" bead down but I did put a generous amount of Permatex Ultra Black and then spread it out with my finger to form a uniform coating. 
That's not how the instructions for Ultra Black indicate it should be applied. It isn't handled like Marshmallow Fluff, Vegemite, Marmite, or peanut butter. It isn't spread. A uniform bead—1/8" will dogets laid down on one mating surface then the critter is bolted up to spec then not used for a day. That's what works for me. Other have developed distinct, successful rituals surrounding this; no doubt you'll develop yours but it will be after the pump is removed and cleaned for the second try. Smile
Watch this at 5:50.

7Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Ref. coolant/oil

My bad, by 5.36pm yesterday I had already started my evening drinking routine  drunken

8Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:52 am

DanT56

DanT56
Laitch wrote:
DanT56 wrote: I had a good layer of the form-a-gasket when I assembled the new waterpump and when everything was tightened up I let it sit for about 12 hours before refilling the oil and coolant. 
Which product did you use?

Generally what is recommended is a narrow bead, not a good layer. Good layer implies applying like mortar on a brick. Smile  A narrow bead is usually sufficient when the correct product is used.

The sealing surface must be absolutely clean and dry before applying sealant. Three Bond (Dreibond) 1209 is BMW's recommendation; I've used Permatex Ultra Black successfully, bolting up parts immediately and operating them in 24 hours or so.
Sorry for dropping the conversation. Soon, I'll be getting back to this bike. I had to step away to get another bike ready for the riding season and up coming trip. and I needed to build a refrigerate surround cabinet for the kitchen, part of my "honey do list".
I see  Silicone Sealant - Corteco EVO300 is an equivalent part for the Three Bond 1209. Do you have any experience with that?
When it came to cleaning the mating surface for the Oil pump I used Isopropyl Alcohol and I'm thinking I should have used something else like brake cleaner. What are you thoughts on that?

9Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
DanT56 wrote:Sorry for dropping the conversation.
When it came to cleaning the mating surface for the Oil pump I used Isopropyl Alcohol and I'm thinking I should have used something else like brake cleaner. What are you thoughts on that?
I see  Silicone Sealant - Corteco EVO300 is an equivalent part for the Three Bond 1209. Do you have any experience with that?
No need to apologize; I found something else to do.
I used a rag and a Scotchbrite pad.  Smile I might have used either mineral spirits or lacquer thinner had it been handy.
I have no experience with Corteco EVO300 and likely never will because the institutional party-pack–sized tube of Ultra Black I bought should last me well into the next life.

10Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Re: Oil leak from waterpump area Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
When I repaired the H20/oil pump some time back I had a devil of a time getting the cover oil tight. I think I attempted it 3-4 times before I had success.  I think my problem was down to using too little Drei Bond, and spreading it on the sealing surface with my fingertip. If (when?) I next rebuild the pump, I'll avoid spreading it and just lay down a modest bead of sealant. 
Good luck, that task can be very frustrating.

11Back to top Go down   Oil leak from waterpump area Empty Oil leak has been fixed Mon May 24, 2021 5:14 pm

DanT56

DanT56
Well, I finally got back to the oil leak. I ended up ordering the BMW sealant for the oil/water pump and when it came in I removed the pump and cleaned all mating surfaces and after giving everything a chance to dry realy good I applied a bead of sealer to the oil pump and bolted it up per the manual and then applied a bead of the same sealer to the water pump side of the pump and installed the cover again torqueing the bolts per the manual. The afternoon of the next day I refilled the oil and coolant and it has been almost a week now and there are no leaks. The bike is running good. Someone is going to end up with a nice bike.

I'm realizing this 87 is a little small for my wife and I to travel on so a while ago I picked up a used GL1800 for touring. I can't keep two bikes so this K100LT will need to go to a good home.

I thought this bike was going to be my go to bike and did a lot of work to it, the bike is just to small. Thank you all for your help.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum