BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Engine doesn't turn over Sun May 23, 2021 4:26 pm

Gergely

Gergely
I am struggling for 3 month with no solution. After 3 weeks sitting the bike does not started. Starter motor was (is) not able to turn so not turns over the engine.  After changing battery starter relay and 2 starter motors, no improvements. Now I am trying only with direct cable to starter motor from auxiliary 100% charged battery and starter motor spins maximum only for 1 second (like half rotation of the engine) and stops. Turns over only with sparks out. I dismantled engine completely and checked moving parts, pistons - moving free and easily, camshafts are OK, I cleaned valves and all the internal parts of the engine ò long job. No difference. The only thing is that it is very hard to turn the rear wheel by hand in 5th gear (and almost impossible in lower gears). So even bump start fails.  Someone with same symptoms?  thanx  Greg

2Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty No go Mon May 24, 2021 10:58 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
The engine might crank with the gear box removed.

3Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Mon May 24, 2021 12:08 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
#2 MY way of thinking too and clutch is worth a look at

4Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Gergely

Gergely
daveyson wrote:The engine might crank with the gear box removed.
Unfortunately doesn't. Even with gearbox and water/oil pump removed, it is really hard to turn over if sparks are in (starter motor can not do it). 
No visible damages can be seen inside. Timing chain is in correct position.

5Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Engine won't crank Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:59 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I think you're saying the engine will only crank half a turn of the crankshaft. Check if the engine cranks with the clutch removed, as Moriarty points out, especially if you hear a clunk from the clutch when it comes to a stop.

Last edited by daveyson on Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deleted mistaken sentence.)

6Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check the bearing caps on the mains and big ends if even one is backwards then its a fairly good chance the engine wont spin.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
disconnect the alternator , could it be that the cup and flange have come together and parts are messed up in the cup area of the alternator ?
just a thought

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Gergely

Gergely
charlie99 wrote:disconnect the alternator , could it be that the cup and flange have come together and parts are messed up in the cup area of the alternator ?
just a thought
Thanx for the idea, but same issue experienced with alternator out of place.

9Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:35 pm

Gergely

Gergely
RicK G wrote:Check the bearing caps on the mains and big ends if even one is backwards then its a fairly good chance the engine wont spin.
Thanx. I will double check. But after reassembly I have the same issue as before, when the engine for sure was original condition.

10Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:38 pm

Gergely

Gergely
moriarti wrote:#2 MY way of thinking too and clutch is worth a look at
Thanx. During disassembly, clutch turned to be in very good conditions (even quite clean clutch and connection housing area, still good plate thickness). It works also pretty well.

11Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:44 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
You mention difficulty turning the rear wheel.  Is the clutch properly adjusted?  Can you turn the rear wheel with the clutch pulled in?  I assume you tried to start the engine with the clutch pulled in. 

Was the cam chain removed and reinstalled?  Are you absolutely sure the cams are timed properly?  Can you check the valves on the cylinder closest to top dead center?  They should be closed.  An open valve may be preventing the piston from reaching the top of it's stroke.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

12Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:06 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Greg, OK with the gearbox and clutch removed does  the engine turn over without problem.

13Back to top Go down   Engine doesn't turn over Empty Re: Engine doesn't turn over Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:56 am

Arlina

Arlina
I'm thinking about fluidblock, could be from coolant, leaking injectors or the vacuumhose from the FPR.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum