BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ok, I looked at several threads on heated hand grips and couldn't find or just missed some details. So here's my current problem: Silver bike, will have to modify the handle bars for heated grips. No biggee and my thanks to whoever it was that posted a diagram of how to cut/tap the bars. But I have the OEM grips. Well, truthfully think I must have 3 or 4pair of broken ones. Got two that appear to be working, i.e. 8 ohms resistance. And I have the switch. What I don't have and aren't willing to shell out USD $70. for is the intermediary harness. The one that consists of wire, three connectors and a resistor to drop the power when in low temp power mode. I have plenty of wire and suitable connectors.  But what is the resistance of the resistor wire piece? I even have resistivity wire as well as regular power resistors.

Oh, and I got one of the K100RS stainless steel fastener kits to pretty up Silver. That looks like a long drawn out project.
best regards J

2Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:48 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Forgive the what-might-be a really stupid question, but why not fit an aftermarket kit that has a fully adjustable control rather than BMW's too hot/nowhere near warm enough/off system? Unless you've modified the neoprene switch holder on the handlebars, the small black control box sticks very nicely top-left or top-right. No hacking the handlebars either.

2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:30 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:Forgive the what-might-be a really stupid question, but why not fit an aftermarket kit that has a fully adjustable control rather than BMW's too hot/nowhere near warm enough/off system? Unless you've modified the neoprene switch holder on the handlebars, the small black control box sticks very nicely top-left or top-right. No hacking the handlebars either.
I’m with Dai on this one…unless you are wanting to keep the bike in original condition (noting that if you have no wiring loom for them, heated grips are not original to your particular model). After fiddling with, repairing and cursing the OEM ones on my LTs, I fitted Oxford heated grips some time ago and never looked back.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

4Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:21 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Or put the money into a pair of heated gloves that will actually warm your knuckles(the part of your hand that gets cold) and work on all your bikes present and future.

https://www.gerbing.com/gerbing-12v-mens-gt5-gloves

Last edited by Point-Seven-five on Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

1988 K100RS SE

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 am

warmshed

warmshed
@jjefferies wrote:Ok, I looked at several threads on heated hand grips and couldn't find or just missed some details. So here's my current problem: Silver bike, will have to modify the handle bars for heated grips. No biggee and my thanks to whoever it was that posted a diagram of how to cut/tap the bars. But I have the OEM grips. Well, truthfully think I must have 3 or 4pair of broken ones. Got two that appear to be working, i.e. 8 ohms resistance. And I have the switch. What I don't have and aren't willing to shell out USD $70. for is the intermediary harness. The one that consists of wire, three connectors and a resistor to drop the power when in low temp power mode. I have plenty of wire and suitable connectors.  But what is the resistance of the resistor wire piece? I even have resistivity wire as well as regular power resistors.

Oh, and I got one of the K100RS stainless steel fastener kits to pretty up Silver. That looks like a long drawn out project.
best regards J
I used a 5 ohm  50 watt resistor rather than a resistance wire.  I cut the leads and soldered a male and female lucar spade connector on them.  works perfectly and you can adjust the heat on the low setting by reducing or increasing the resistance,  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313723263172?hash=item490b5d18c4:g:6jAAAOSwEpxhdFsz

6Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:29 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Had Oxford heated grips on another bike, very satisfied with them.
Better than the BMW ones....

BMW....
0; off
1; could be warm
2; maybe hot

Oxford.....
0; off
1; low
2; warmer
3; hot
4; you're in the artic I guess......

7Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:38 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
@Dai wrote:Forgive the what-might-be a really stupid question, but why not fit an aftermarket kit that has a fully adjustable control rather than BMW's too hot/nowhere near warm enough/off system? Unless you've modified the neoprene switch holder on the handlebars, the small black control box sticks very nicely top-left or top-right. No hacking the handlebars either.
Perfectly reasonable question. And I considered it first. But I could never figure out whether the grip for a 7/8 inch bar would fit on the required control piece for the throttle. Even e-mailed the Oxford folks asking about it. Never got a response. Probably should have asked here. But I have all the parts at hand to install the OEM grips. Well ok, I have had to do some fiddling. But isn't that what its all about? Thank you Warm Shed "5 ohm  50 watt resistor".

thanks guys. And do tell me if the throttle side grip will fit the BMW throttle tube. There are reasons why I might reconsider my choice.

8Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:24 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I can't give a straight answer because I have Triumph switch clusters on Low Flying Brick, but having said that, there is absolutely no reason why they will not fit. However, I don't think I've ever had any bike where I didn't have to mod the twistgrip in some way or another, from filing molded ridges off to applying a single turn of insulating tape to give a smooth twistgrip (like the K) sufficient diameter to hold the new grip.

Paul? Did you have to make any changes?

9Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
Using insulation tape on heated grips can be a problem, the sticky stuff gets hot and the grip slips off. I tried using a sleeve of heat shrink tube but it was too thick and the grip was very hard to get on, on my current ride I used Oxford grips and found that an extra sleeve of black plastic water proofing membrane (type used under concrete slabs) to work on the left grip and the right grip fitted very snugly as it was.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 2004 K1200GT 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki

10Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:04 am

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
I use Oxford Touring grips on my ‘85 fits the throttle tube without issue and a dab or two of rubber glue on the left works well. Love them. Especially when used with my Oxford handlebar muffs, warm and dry come what may.

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

11Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Funny Frustrating Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:39 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
If this ain't just the funniest & frustrating & sad. From the information gleaned here, I need a 5 ohm 50 watt resistor to complete my parts inventory before installing my heated grips. Whoops, turns out that my go to Electronics parts stores have all up and gone, Fry's, Al Lasher's over in Berkeley, Halted, Weird Stuff, the several excess supply stores I used to frequent. This ain't the heart of Silicon Valley but it is the periphery. So I began looking for new sources of supply. Digi-Key advertises it has it all. But it's located in Minnesota and I'm not in favor of riding over in the middle of winter. So I'm searching through Silicon Valley. Maybe I just try winding my own Wink   I've got resistive nichrome wire. So I go measure off 5.5 ohms worth, wind it around a dowel. And then hook it up to a 12 volt battery. It don't glow but Where would one put such a device, developing something like 30-36 watts of heat? How does the OEM intermediary wiring loom deal with the heat diverted from the handlebars. Any comments?

12Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 pm

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
The resistance wire is included in the loom and to be honest it doesn't deal very well with the heat, there have been many instances of the wires melting.
Have you considered using PWM (Pulse Width Modulator) they can be obtained very cheap. They control the heat by a series of pulses of 12v and depending how close the pulses are the heat produced is more or less and no heat is produced elsewhere to melt the plastic bits.
Oxford have a very good system which detects the engine running and automatically switches off a few minutes from engine off so you don't even forget to turn them off and they have 4 heat settings. I have been using them for many years

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 2004 K1200GT 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki

13Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
@RicK G wrote:Have you considered using PWM (Pulse Width Modulator) they can be obtained very cheap. They control the heat by a series of pulses of 12v and depending how close the pulses are the heat produced is more or less and no heat is produced elsewhere to melt the plastic bits.
Oxford have a very good system which detects the engine running and automatically switches off a few minutes from engine off so you don't even forget to turn them off and they have 4 heat settings. I have been using them for many years
Looks very interesting from the details given on ebay. And priced about the same as a 50 watt resistor. Biggest question would be how to mount one so it wouldn't be obtrusive and the heat sinks can do their job.
Question: Do you think  a 3 amp one would be adequate?
https://usa.banggood.com/12V-24V-Pulse-Width-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Switch-Controller-Regulator-p-916751.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=US&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-usg-pc&currency=USD&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=sandra&utm_campaign=sandra-ssc-usg-all-newcustom-ncv90-0420-19cov&ad_id=432153545270&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP8-X7IqSQF8cFE2JwgEs8eMkrGEshwnRjXoT8fn_O87FVuzL-V9kZxoCoq4QAvD_BwE

This one has the advantage of having the controlling rheostat being on a wire whereas the more powerful 10 amp ones have the controlling rheostat is mounted on the board. Which would make mounting the unit more difficult.

WEIRD. The one above looks like what I would like but there's no button on the website to order it. Looks like I'll have to go with one of the others which are less convenient to mount. Another reason why buying from China is a concern.

Thanks for the suggestion.
J.

14Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:28 am

warmshed

warmshed
I used one like this,  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264693744396?hash=item3da0fa030c:g:8rQAAOSwHwVejgXQ

Cheap came quickly and easy to mount. Does not seem to get hot.  it will only be dissipating around 18 watts as the 5 ohms is in series  + the two elements  = 4.5 ohms( 2 x 9 ohms in parallel).  being 9.5 ohms in total, taking the battery nominal at 13 V  gives approx 1.4 A= is approx  18 watts.,

15Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:30 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
WEIRD. The one above looks like what I would like but there's no button on the website to order it. Looks like I'll have to go with one of the others which are less convenient to mount. Another reason why buying from China is a concern.
Not really weird. In recent months the Chinese government have been kicking their biggest tech firms right where it hurts because it thinks they're getting too capitalist and out of the CCP's direct control. Missing order buttons on big international websites is just one symptom of it.

16Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 am

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
Here is a 12v 10A with a remote controller and I give a personal recommendation of him, been dealing with him for years and always good
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393872332645?hash=item5bb49ed765:g:xOIAAOSwnJph4aPF
He also has a huge range of junction boxes which are good for a water proof mounting. And if you buy directly from him under that name  SOLALUNA he is a bit cheaper.

17Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:19 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@jjefferies wrote:WEIRD. The one above looks like what I would like but there's no button on the website to order it. 
There's a button; you use it to create an "account" then this wonder of the People's Republic should be available to you..
Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Scree182

18Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:49 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
@Laitch wrote:
@jjefferies wrote:WEIRD. The one above looks like what I would like but there's no button on the website to order it. 
There's a button; you use it to create an "account" then this wonder of the People's Republic should be available to you..
Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Scree182
Ok, but thought that $2.00 was applicable only if you buy something like $50. Very Happy Will give it a try.

19Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
@warmshed wrote:I used one like this,  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264693744396?hash=item3da0fa030c:g:8rQAAOSwHwVejgXQ

Cheap came quickly and easy to mount. Does not seem to get hot.  it will only be dissipating around 18 watts as the 5 ohms is in series  + the two elements  = 4.5 ohms( 2 x 9 ohms in parallel).  being 9.5 ohms in total, taking the battery nominal at 13 V  gives approx 1.4 A= is approx  18 watts.,
Oh! In which case the 5 ohm 25 watt resistors I have would be adequate?
I must not have been properly estimating the proper power dissipation.
Wait my voltmeter shows nominal 14.2 volts when at my normal cruising speed.

Oh, choices choices. To go with a simple resistor or those sexy PWM's.
Will give it thought after I get back.

thanks all

20Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:26 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
Another aside, about modifying the bars themselves. According to a local expert you don't need to make cuts to the handle bars, as long as you have the 10mm hold for the wires to pass through in the middle of the bars.  Just move the handle bar control mechanisms 1/4-1/2 inch further out on the bars. On both sides this allows the heated hand grip wires to clear the ends of the bars. Sounds reasonable to me. Any disagreements or counter arguments?

21Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:37 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
ASAK the only reason the bars have cut outs in them was to accommodate bar end weights. Many others have done just that to their non bar end bars with their heated grips

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

22Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Re: Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am

warmshed

warmshed
@jjefferies wrote:
@warmshed wrote:I used one like this,  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264693744396?hash=item3da0fa030c:g:8rQAAOSwHwVejgXQ

Oh! In which case the 5 ohm 25 watt resistors I have would be adequate?
I must not have been properly estimating the proper power dissipation.
Wait my voltmeter shows nominal 14.2 volts when at my normal cruising speed.

Oh, choices choices. To go with a simple resistor or those sexy PWM's.
Will give it thought after I get back.

thanks all
Even at 14.4 volts that's still less than 22 watts.  Quick and easy to do, you will soon judge if that is correct for you if not easy to change the resistor. adjustable is a bit overkill and I hate extra bolt on knobs.

23Back to top Go down   Heated Handgrips (thread Nth ) Empty Ah, Progress Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Platinum member
Platinum member
@warmshed wrote:Even at 14.4 volts that's still less than 22 watts.  Quick and easy to do, you will soon judge if that is correct for you if not easy to change the resistor. adjustable is a bit overkill and I hate extra bolt on knobs.
It is never easy to do as I'm trying to make it right (OEM style) without all the necessary bits. Today I scored/obtained the male 3 wire connector that the OEM switch mates to. It came with the male connector that the wires to the grips mate to. Also I'm saving the existing rubber hand grips (never can tell when they might come in handy) which means a struggle to get them off without slitting/tearing or otherwise destroying them. My buddy Greg had the connectors tossed into a box of scrap bits at his shop. Well worth the ride over the bay to sit and jaw. Wink  For a brief moment I thought I might have even scored the resistor wire but no such luck so will have to make do with my wire wrapped ceramic resistors. But it's coming together even if a bit clunky.

Did see the Oxford heated grips setup whilst I was over there visiting. Someone was having them installed on a R75. Quite interesting how many bits come with the installation, multiple sets of hand grips etc. Right now i'm trying to guess how long the wire leads need to be in the intermediate wiring harness to connect it all together. Thinking it thru, that's a new one for me. Wink

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum