BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
So I went into this project apparently with my eyes wide closed. Decided to update the throttle cable on an '86 K100 manufactured in '85. According to MaxBMW there was a change mid-1986. My K100 had the old style with the throttle cable adjuster about 1 foot from the control (i.e. the right hand controls). Which gave rise to all sorts of interesting issues. First I changed out the throttle cable end connector down by the throttle bodies, ie at the bottom. Some (MaxBMW) say this is necessary whereas others say it isn't. Anyway as it turns out the 1/2 wheel over which the cable runs to open the throttle bodies is a different size than the later models. This in turn means that the cable itself needs to be 2 cm. shorter . (An aside, there is the cable and then there is the sheath that the cable runs inside of) in newer models the cable sticks out of the sheath by 10 cm. In this older machine it sticks outside by 8 cm. If you are not aware as I wasn't this causes all sort of problems. So after multiple consultations with experts I finally got the cable part number which ends in 016. And of course you have to obtain the adjuster screws that go up by the right hand control unit. Cost is USD 40+ as is the cable $47. But once you have the correct parts (no easy feat) you have to place the square cable end into the throttle cam chain connector. The part that's up in the hand grip. And that is  were I found more difficulty.

Do the assembled experts know how to fish the square end of the cable into the connector of the cam disk chain? I tried and tried. Finally had to separate the brake housing and the throttle housing so as to get the cam disk up to where I could almost get them together. Any suggestions? Max BMW seems to indicate there are different versions of the cam disk:
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51739&rnd=07242017
And I'm thinking this might be my problem.

best regards
J.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote: Max BMW seems to indicate there are different versions of the cam disk:
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51739&rnd=07242017
And I'm thinking this might be my problem.
Max is not indicating different versions of the cam disk on the fiche I'm viewing; it has inadvertently twice repeated photos and data of the only version available. The part numbers are the same. Your cam disk is okay if its teeth aren't damaged or worn.

Are you removing the disc/chain from its axle, coupling the chain with the cable then replacing the disk into the housing?

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:Are you removing the disc/chain from its axle, coupling the chain with the cable then replacing the disk into the housing?
Essentially. I had to separate the two bodies to be able to lift the cam. I finally was able to get it connected with this method. The reason for the confusion is that I didn't encounter this problem with my K75's. Where everything seemed to slide together more easily. I'm thinking that there was a mix of K100 and K75 parts. Though I've been assured by others that they are identical and not a problem. Fortunately the throttle cable doesn't break that often. The hand grip's teeth were worn enough that I replaced it. I didn't see as much wear with the cam teeth though.

4Back to top Go down   Throttle cables K100 pre 1986 vs 1986 and after Empty Throttle cable Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:56 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I have an 84rt (with the cable adjuster) an 85rt (late model) and an 87rt model. I found that even the 85 and 87 models were different. The throttle cable support bracket at the throttle bodies had different offsets, so one cable was longer (I think the 87 model) That was the only difficulty I remember in swapping them.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
daveyson wrote:I have an 84rt (with the cable adjuster) an 85rt (late model) and an 87rt model. I found that even the 85 and 87 models were different. The throttle cable support bracket at the throttle bodies had different offsets, so one cable was longer (I think the 87 model) That was the only difficulty I remember in swapping them.
Makes sense. Thinking that I needed the newer throttle cable support with the newer throttle cable. Guess I could look at the older one and see if I can see any differences. But given the struggle to get them together probably won't.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum