BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Need to purchase a piston ring set Empty Need to purchase a piston ring set Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:29 pm

Rashed

Rashed
Hello
From Bangladesh.Own a 1987k100LT .VIN-0172375.Just changed a cylinder with original piston set from 1984 k100RS.Facing a smoke issue.Want to change a new set of piston rings.Little confused to c 2 types of piston rings.Pls suggest which one to buy.

Regards.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Does it smoke all the time when riding or just when starting up?

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
If the bike has been in storage for years and especially left on the side stand they can smoke. It can take quite a few K's for them to free up. Anything up to a 2000 Km's in the case of a mates bike.
Regards Martin.

Rashed

Rashed
MartinW wrote:If the bike has been in storage for years and especially left on the side stand they can smoke. It can take quite a few K's for them to free up. Anything up to a 2000 Km's in the case of a mates bike.
Regards Martin.
No my bike is always on center stand.
My bike is 1987 k100lt.2valve.Just replaced the original engine cylinder due to some cylinder damage issue and installed a cylinder with original piston inside from a 1984 k100rs.Now I need to change a new set of piston rings.There is 2 types of rings which is making me confused.One may be from early version and the other for upgrade version with difference oil ring.

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rashed,

there are 2 types of pistons: the early type has free rings , so as they are rotating around the piston they could sometimes be in a position with the 3 rings extremities in line , allowing oil to pass into the combustion chamber and generating smoke.
The late type had a pin fit in the ring seat to prevent this rotation, just as 2 stroke pistons have.
Use the rings type matching your piston, normally being the 1st type on engines manufactured before 02/1988, so ref 11251460994.

CHECK you piston before!

From experience, most of aftermarket rings sold are too short to provide a good ring gap. I sometimes had to send back 3 times rings before I receive a set long enough to be cut at the right lenght to get a correct gap.

Rashed

Rashed
Will a late type rings set in a early type pistons??

Rashed

Rashed
Are you talking about this ring set??
Need to purchase a piston ring set 4652ec10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum