BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member

It took me 2 decades to find the right programs in Linux to get this done- ah ha ha ha!

Last edited by Bricklayer on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total

https://anthonymrugacz.net/

Case1234

Case1234
Any hiccups song the way?

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
Bricklayer,
I am truly impressed.
You are my hero of the day. Cool

I had similar plans in the eighties. Just the other way round. Never came true, though.
So I am intrigued to ask you:
It seems to me that you had your brick flown across the Atlantic. Was that a complicated task? Do you happen to remember how much they charged you?

Indiana Jones Style Map of my 1st road trip on my K100 9438-010

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
The trip was  Newark-Frankfurt on a Lufthansa. program called "Fly and Ride". My round trip ticket and bike shipping was US$1,200 in 1998. The company which ran it was out of Florida and today I will keep searching for documents. Basically one had to go to air cargo terminal with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel and disconnect your battery ground. The bike was strapped to a pallet and loaded into the belly of a Boeing 747. A guess an Internet search is in order to see if such programs still exist. My insurance. Since my trip was around 4 months in Europe it saved on renting a Beemer. So if I take 4 months insurance ($200 total) and total flight costs, it was about $12/day to have my wheels there. I camped during the week and stayed with friends/hotels on weekends. All back during the pre-HTTP 'net and Usenet groups ruled the earth...

Upon arrival in Frankfurt one showed customs your insurance and off you went (to the nearest petrol station of course). I could go on and on about some of the interesting facts and stories but that is left for "beer o'clock" or specific questions. In closing it was a trip to find family roots in Poland after a century of separation and had a bunch of mini-disasters. The overall results is that it changed my life in many ways. Only real regret is that I did not keep a journal like on my 4-wheel camping adventures in Mexico/ Belize and notes I kept on Cambodia which have been published as eBooks- ah ha ha ha- is that a promo plug I smell?

OK here's pic of the K going into the plane and shipping docs, if I find more they'll end up here. 

Indiana Jones Style Map of my 1st road trip on my K100 Image110

Indiana Jones Style Map of my 1st road trip on my K100 111
Indiana Jones Style Map of my 1st road trip on my K100 210

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
"Any hiccups along the way?"

A few, worst was hitting a patch of diesel fuel on a turn north of Munich. Lots of mud, broken finger, and a new valve cover. Amazingly the new valve cover was only US$65 at the main dealer in Munich.

ATM's were down a lot (1998). My only logistical mistake was my initial insurance was 1 month and had to renew in Europe. The office was in Luxembourg so there was a detour along the way.

Being multi-lingual at any level helped, I got the "Canadian Price" at campgrounds in France during high season (August) and having a Polish surname definitely helped when dealing with any government official in Poland. :-)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum