BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gearbox output shaft leak '85 Empty Gearbox output shaft leak '85 Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:04 am

Chris350

Chris350
Hi All,

Working on the splines today and decided to remove the swingarm after reading some suggestions to do on this forum. I noticed this pool of oil under the gearbox output shaft and in the gaiter and just a general dirty mess behind the swingarm which I'll clean up. No oil found in the FD.

I just wanted to double check that this seal is most likely the culprit. Or am I looking for additional leaking seals in this area behind the swingarm?

Any tips on how to replace without special tools? I've read that screwing in wood screws and pulling with pliers may work as long as you don't go too deep to hit the bearing behind it. Is that correct?

When installing the new seal, tape the splines and lube with gear oil? Do I soak new seal in gear oil?

Thanks for insights.

Gearbox output shaft leak '85 20230910

2Back to top Go down   Gearbox output shaft leak '85 Empty Re: Gearbox output shaft leak '85 Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:35 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
With leaky oil seals it's always a good idea to check the bearing behind them - replacing the seal won't help for long if the shaft has got too much radial movement.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum