BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Doesn't Start... Empty Doesn't Start... Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:06 am

César Santos

César Santos
Good afternoon,

I've been away for a while, good sign Wink
Meanwhile my bike is playing tricks on me, sometimes it won't start.
The first time she was working on the rest and after moving to get off it, she turned it off, I couldn't put it to work anymore... After a week she started it correctly.
Yesterday it started correctly, after a ride I stopped and had a coffee, when I started it it didn't start, after some checks and even if it turns on the starter, it simply won't start. With it not working, I engaged 2nd gear and got the engine moving and started it and it worked flawlessly.
Today I went to test it and it started and it didn't start, I did the same thing with 2nd gear and it started right away.
What could be the problem? already happened?

Thanks

2Back to top Go down   Doesn't Start... Empty Re: Doesn't Start... Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:36 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Is the starter motor spinning but not turning the engine?  If that is what is happening, the sprag clutch that connects the starter motor to the engine may be the problem.

This is a common problem in these old bikes.  There are ways to clean it so it works.  The easiest is to put some engine cleaner in the engine oil and run the engine for a couple hours and then do an oil change.  Use a heavy duty diesel oil for the oil change.  These oils have extra cleaning additives that will get the rest of the dirt out of the clutch.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Doesn't Start... Empty Re: Doesn't Start... Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:39 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
are you using the kill switch ? when it starts next only use the ignition switch and this will tell you if its the bar switch fault , this is also a problem i have had with the older switch gear

4Back to top Go down   Doesn't Start... Empty Re: Doesn't Start... Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:14 am

César Santos

César Santos
Good morning,

Solved, the problem continued to happen and I was on my feet once again.
The symptom was a lack of fuel, as the starter motor was working.
After some checks, it was the plug that connects to the tank that was making bad contact, it should "fall out" and stop doing its job.
I plugged it back in and everything was ok, let's see if the plug holds up.
Thank you for your help

5Back to top Go down   Doesn't Start... Empty Re: Doesn't Start... Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:28 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Doesn't Start... 212902

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum