BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dalton47

dalton47
As the title states, I'm looking for some potential options for suspension (both front and rear), for my K100LT scrambler. I'm not going to be doing single-track or anything, but some light to moderate off-road. Last year I did a section of the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route and I'm looking to do another section this year. I know it's not the first bike someone might chose for something like this but if you were to, what suspension upgrades (or any other changes) would you recommend? Thanks!

Recommendations for suspension upgrades  Obdr10

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
The front suspension is actually pretty good, with a very long travel that matches most of today so-called trail bikes. You may play with oil viscosity to find a good dampering. Changing the springs depends of your feeling, but the weight you removed on the front should compensate easily the extra stress.
The genuine rear suspension is crap. Change it for a real shock, not a cheap one that will be inconsistent when heating; The direct mounting on the swingarm, with no progressive rods on the K100 makes important to have a good shock, easy to tune, that won't make foam from oil when shaked.
Personnaly, I use two brands: Ohlins (for dual use) or Fournales ( for road use).

You can also use a R100GS front end, and use a rear end paralever. Check the thread about my K75GS: https://www.k100-forum.com/t12486-k75-gs-conversion
Note that the monolever allows actually more angular travel than the paralever: but the paralever provides much more confort and reduces to the max interferences between transmission and suspension. It works great on and off road.

dalton47

dalton47
jbt wrote:The front suspension is actually pretty good, with a very long travel that matches most of today so-called trail bikes. You may play with oil viscosity to find a good dampering. Changing the springs depends of your feeling, but the weight you removed on the front should compensate easily the  extra stress.
The genuine  rear suspension is crap. Change it for a real shock, not a cheap one that will be inconsistent when heating; The direct mounting on the swingarm, with no progressive rods on the K100 makes important to have a good shock, easy to tune, that won't make foam from oil when shaked.
Personnaly, I use two brands: Ohlins (for dual use) or Fournales ( for road use).

You can also use a R100GS front end, and use a rear end paralever. Check the thread about my K75GS: https://www.k100-forum.com/t12486-k75-gs-conversion
Note that the monolever allows actually more angular travel than the paralever: but the paralever provides much more confort and reduces to the max interferences between transmission and suspension. It works great on and off road.

Thanks for the information! It sounds like I should be able to start with the rear suspension and upgrade from there if I need to. At least for now, I'm planning on staying with the movolever so it's good to hear it should still be fine even if not as good as the paralever.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
See if you can get a 21" front wheel that will work.  The larger diameter rolls better in the rough and has a larger contact patch when turning/leaned over.  IMO this is important on a large heavy bike like the brick that wants to push the front wheel in turns.

Also, get the best off road front tire you can find.  Again, you are looking for grip when you want to change direction.  Rear tire is not as important unless you are riding trails with steep grades that require hooking up a lot of power. 

Several years ago, there was a member of the Motobrick Forum, Tim Tyler who built a K75 adventure bike that he did a lot of fire road riding with as well as many cross country trips.  His bike had a lot of very thoughtful mods that made it great for off road riding in the Pacific Northwest.  Tim lived in the Seattle area and rode all over the Northwest up into British Columbia. 

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=8742.25

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175