BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mmgee123

mmgee123
Hey everyone I own a 1988 k100 and it appears that my starter has went bad so i’m replacing the starter! I’ve removed the 2 bolts and the wire that leads to the starter, even opened the engine cover (drained the oil) and sprayed infinite PB Blaster, and it still won’t budge anyone know why that might be?

Edit: once the bolts were out and wire was disconnected the only thing holding it in was the o ring i sprayed some pb blaster and let it sit over night and gave it a good wiggle and it eventually loosened up and came out. good luck!

Last edited by mmgee123 on Tue May 21, 2024 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If you've removed the two bolts at the rear that hold it to the transmission then it will come out. Wobble it around and pull harder.

There's an O-ring on the front of it that seals and you need to overcome that.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
mmgee123 wrote: even opened the engine cover (drained the oil) and sprayed infinite PB Blaster,
This is clearly not a good idea. Carefully drain and rinse the engine before starting it again.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If you took the crank cover off then be sure to use a torque wrench on the cover bolts when putting them back on. (Working out from the center in an X pattern.)

The engine cover bolts are "shoulder" bolts and will strip threads if over-torqued.

8 Nm

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
There is also the likelyhood that the rubber washers have gone hard and will no longer seal now they have been disturbed. Replace them for safety.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Are you removing the starter because you believe its failure is the cause of the buzzing you were hunting described here—'88 k100 not starting?
duck wrote:If you've removed the two bolts at the rear that hold it to the transmission then it will come out. Wobble it around and pull harder.
Spray your Blaster on the joints where the starter is bolted down, go have a Whoopee Pie and some coffee then when you return, give it a go. It's ok to tap it gently upwards or sideways with a screwdriver handle or soft mallet to loosen it but don't go all he-man on it Smile .

Start at 2:36 in this video.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
A mate had a stuck starter. After spraying it with penetrant I managed to get para cord around the mounting lugs. Using a screwdriver through the para cord  I levered the starter back while wriggling it side to side. after a few tries it broke free. It was refitted using Never Seize.
Regards Martin.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum