BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:28 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Have any of you Aussie guys got a lead on insulation for under the tank on my K1100.

I live in the boonies and the auto shop just give a pitying look and says why would you want that the air will blow the heat away.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

2Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:36 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i recon that stuff that og had would be the go kfreak .....might have to ask him a favour to get some and send it over huh ?

from memory it was "dynamat" jaycar sell a sound deadening product as well .....

still to do the ram air feed under the steering head ....actually had a better idea ...a bit old fashioned... but involves a push down flap of sorts .....closed / semi closed for durring winter of corse

3Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:34 am

I'll enquire with the techs on the car side tamoree at work, K Freak and Charlie. I'm going to do a mod like that too. Since I was in a hurry and 'forgot' to put the rubbery insulator around the airbox and throttle bodies last time I was in there (recently) I felt the heat blowing through to me on last weekend's ride. I'm also gunna insulate all of the fuel lines and fuel rail at the same time.

4Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know what use it was, but when I bought my bike the previous owner had placed a towel between the tank and motor. I knew nothing about it for about 4 years until I had to take the tank off.

Being a naked version the heat may not have been a problem. The bottom of my tank doesn't have the insulation either.

5Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:42 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
I had a classic car a few years back that got very hot in the foot well. There is a company in Auckland that makes car carpet sets, and they sold the insulation stuff as well. It was thin like the stuff used on the tanks and was very good. No doubt plenty of car carpet suppluiers over there.

I have seen a similar product in boat engine covers (inboards), so maybe an internet search of marine suppliers? I seem to recall that being thincker to keep noise down as well though.

Peter

6Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:59 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
What about a couple layers of the silver or blue stuff that builders use around the frames of houses? It won't stick to anything, but it should insulate?

7Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:53 pm

purkolator

Was the original heat shield for the tank foil with foam or foil with fiberglass?

8Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi guys, saw this post and this link may help. I used this sticky back shielding on the inside of the exhaust heat shild to virtually eliminate the tinny vibration noises that always gave me the irrates! nice and thin, and will stick and mouold as you like. Hope it helps, I reckon i might try some unders the tank area also. cheers Andyb
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermal-Reflective-Heat-Shield-Self-Adh-500mm-x-500mm-/330516442294?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf450acb6

9Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Oh, and please excuse the typing prowess!

10Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:53 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good looking stuff andy

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

11Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:53 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Oh no,more tarting up material readily avialable for you boys up there in Qld Razz
there some good stuff there fibreglass repair tape and thermal protective sleeves can see TWB using that on connections under the tank as well as the thermal reflective shield Smile

12Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:15 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
andyb wrote:Hi guys, saw this post and this link may help. I used this sticky back shielding on the inside of the exhaust heat shild to virtually eliminate the tinny vibration noises that always gave me the irrates! nice and thin, and will stick and mouold as you like. Hope it helps, I reckon i might try some unders the tank area also. cheers Andyb
[url=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermal-Reflective-Heat-Shield-Self-Adh-500mm-x-500mm-/330516442294?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf450acb6
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermal-Reflective-Heat-Shield-Self-Adh-500mm-x-500mm-/330516442294?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf450acb6[/quote[/url]]

Thanks Andy that is just what I was looking for.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

13Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:16 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Under Tank Insulation 44271

lol ....you could join us at "the meet up in araluen" guys ...and see what the fuss is about ......grin

hey kfreak ...ya recon we should go for a "group " discount ?

14Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:19 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
I was thinking about joining you guys but I've broken my foot still another month till I can walk on it Sad

15Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:29 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thats not good Toto but a mere flesh wound should not prevent you riding.Laughing

I had som surgery on my left wrist a while ago and saw my doc today and he didnt say anything about not riding so what he dont know etc.

Not to worry I have been thinking of suggesting a get together in the Dubbo area for next year some time. It makes a very central place for most of the Eastern States and I don't recall seeing any members from WA.

16Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:31 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aww poor old blighter toto ......

crikey when i was a bit younger ...i used to carry the crutch strapped to the side of the old bike with an "ockey strap" of corse ......always drew a few odd looks .... what do they say ..."harden up mate " ...giggles im sure we could arange a couple of wheels for the bottom of the cast .......now lets see ...3 spoke radials or "the real deal " old style ones .....or maybe just some scateboard ...um ...trucks

just joking mate, hope it gets better soon huh !!!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:50 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
crikey ...dubbo ..kfreak ....no way later than than november for this little bunny rabbit..... it gets awfull hot out there ...i was out here a while ago ...46 degrees in the shade ...washing took 10 minutes to dry like cardboard ...and i didnt have to turn it over ....and that was after 4.30 pm in the afternoon ......grin

18Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:08 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Dubbo sounds good just have to plan a route around the safety cams then the old girl can really stretch her legs Smile

19Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:17 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ah yes but May is very nice there, sort of Goldilocks weather, just right.

20Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:27 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ok ...sounds good ......im there !

toto just thinking aloud here .....1 month .....thats exactly when we plan heading south ......get that foot covered and ride buddy ...

21Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
I know its 29 days left till I'm allowed to bear any weight on it:( but we'll see closer to the date cos as soon as the swelling has gone down going to jump on my exercise bike ( don't want to bend the screws end up walking in circles ) Very Happy

22Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hope you did the heat on fuel lines mods kfreak seemed to work for me last summer to a noticeable degree .

i used the thermal insulation usually used on air conditioning feed lines cheep as chips ...for about $5.00 got more than a metre of the stuff and did the fuel return line (from the presure regulator ) and the down pipe to the fuel rail

the pipe itself is under sized for the fuel line outers ...but expands really well to form a snug fitt around those lines .....16 mm of cosy niceness keeping the heat transfer way down .

23Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Under Tank Insulation 44271 walking around in circles ....hehe

24Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:15 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well I finally got my insulation today. Had to get about twice as much as I needed. I am up for a stick up on Friday so I will see just how easy it really is to stick it onto the tank and with the remainder I am going to make a "tin foil hat".

Also took the new rocket for a short spin and it is very nice. I think it will be a very good touring machine with a bit of sport thrown in for fun.cheers

25Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:40 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
K Freak, have a look at this.

With thanks to motobrick.com.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

26Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hmmm I saw that a while ago and went into a hardware store here and tried to get that stuff and they looked at me as if I had just landed in a space ship and thats when I found out how difficult it is to get the right stuff.

27Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:06 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Make pictures guys!!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Under Tank Insulation Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

28Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I have experimented with using the silver foil that is used in Australia as insulation on new houses. It is called sarking, that is spelt with a s, not an f.

I cut a length and then folded it over 4 times and placed between the tank and engine. So far no fires, smells etc. I don;t know as yet if it doing any good, but it is doing no harm. It must be better than the towel that the previous owner had there.

29Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ReneZ wrote:Make pictures guys!!

Well I got the insulation but haven't done anything yet. I am doing a once over on the K100.

Rene I will try to remember to do some pics as I do it. Probably a few weeks yet.

30Back to top Go down   Under Tank Insulation Empty Re: Under Tank Insulation Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers mate, It'll be good to see some examples!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Under Tank Insulation Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum