BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 pm

RT

Life time member
Life time member
Ok all taken on board, I have the beast apart, and Inge's tip about cleaning that thread was great. Swing arm off but it was too dark to check the output shaft so today will tell the truth. Then I can attack the rotor.
Too much rain going on here at the moment so I'm not missing any riding.
Cheers RT

52Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:15 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good luck rt Very Happy

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

53Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:05 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks to sidecar Paul for putting the Moccas on me, had to drill them out, they were packed with Neverseize( surely an oxymoron) and would not budge. So far so good but I really need to get a new disc when this GFC thing is over.!!!!!
Now to grease up and put it all back together.
RT

54Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:36 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
While I'm in there, why don't I put a finger in the swing arm bearings and give them a turn. DON"T DO IT.
Too late, one bearing is gritty and sounds knackered. Where do I have to go for these bearings, I'm sure I read this just recently. I'll troll through but feel free to shout the answer.
I'm off to the pub, this is one of those disaster movies I'm in at the moment, where's Charlton Heston when you need him.
RT

55Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:41 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
clinks glasses with rt .... friday night mate! ...its all good

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

56Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:33 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
If your looking for a new disc rotor RT, Metalgear do one for the K's. I have just had mine done by the local BMW guy (not a dealer) and I am looking at around $200-300. That is the price for not wanting to fool around with brakes. They are too important for my ham fisted repair attempts.

metalgear.com.au They are in Brendale, Qld and do pads as well. I like to support local where it is feasible.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

57Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:54 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RT wrote:Where do I have to go for these bearings,
It
seems NTN (or other) 32203 bearings will be a direct replacement for the
swingarm bearings on our bricks. 17x17.25x40. The width on these is measured
differently on different sites, but it is an exact match for what we need.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

58Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:58 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
RT wrote: So far so good but I really need to get a new disc when this GFC thing is over.!!!!!
Now to grease up and put it all back together.
RT

i might be able to help you with a rear brake disk second hand. 4.5mm its still in limits you are welcome to it for p/p. and a few ales in may.

Last edited by Albyalbatross1 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bugger..)

59Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
how can I resist PM coming mate tks.

60Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:26 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Whilst I am deep in the bowels here and cleaning all the crud from around the output shaft, I noticed that the cap covering the gear position switch is falling apart, might explain my problems when I got soaked last year. I am thinking of putting a blob of silicon over the top for the meantime as the switch is working when dry.
Also looks like the final drive input shaft is shafted so am replacing from my spares bike which looks pretty good. Waiting for swing arm
bearing today before I start the reverse journey.
Then I might even be able to go for a ride.
RT

61Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:05 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Rotor on its way!!! Very Happy

62Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:25 am

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
rt
your not doing too bad for someone with two left hands and only thumbs for fingers
good to see ya getting in and having a go and getting the old girl sorted out for may jaunt
ps
want to come up and service my bike for me hang on a bit with luck your been having lately maybe not lol
good luck with your repairs

63Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:09 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Ha Col I'm hanging out for another trip up your way, have to wait for a few rivers to drop I think, and that Oberon road might be a bit messy.
Bearings on the way $7.00 versus $100.00 BMW and tks to Albyatross
might be able to get some back brake feel.
I think Alby hit it on the head in a pm to me, stop looking and put it back together.
Cheers RT

64Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RT wrote:Ha Col I'm hanging out for another trip up your way, have to wait for a few rivers to drop I think, and that Oberon road might be a bit messy.
Bearings on the way $7.00 versus $100.00 BMW and tks to Albyatross
might be able to get some back brake feel.
I think Alby hit it on the head in a pm to me, stop looking and put it back together.
Cheers RT

You just might have to go the long way, What a Bummer.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

65Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 am

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
when come through this time give us a call if not at work
we will catch up
travellers are always welcome to stop for beer or coffee

66Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:37 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well thanks to the floods my bearings haven't turned up yet (how that works I'm not sure, think the guy forgot to order them).
The rotor from Alby sure is fatter than my old one (tks Alby, dinner is on me).
I have decided to use the final drive unit from my spares bike after checking out the wear on the spline, it was in much better condition.
Emptied out the oil which was pretty awful, and gave it a bit of a flush with kerosene, hopefully that won't hurt the seals. The bike has been standing for 5 years but inside looks good and rolls well.
RT

67Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Need opinion on spline condition Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:39 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Img_1115
At last, all back together, no bits left over, everything torqued to specs, time for a run.
Finally I am mobile thanks to everyone. Only problem is I forgot that I loosened the clutch cable but that is an easy fix.
I feel a bit like a mechanic, got the dirty hands at least.
Cheers friends.
RT

68Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:33 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
While most normal people are nibbling the ears off chocolate Easter bunnies, this long holiday weekend I intend to tear into my K100RS to attend to the all-important spline lube and also deal with some chronic but minor gearbox/rear main or alternator drive seal leaks. I have all of the seals to hand just in case and a new set of 'monkey nuts' for the alternator drive. Thanks for the images so I can compare what mine looks like against others'. This is gunna be fun. I'll keep me camera handy as well.

69Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Have fun.
I may grease the final drive and will try to pull it away using long studs. (same technique as the guides for re-installing the gear box). I don't remember who posted the idea. It may save time.

CF

70Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:44 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great news rt

happy riding ......the weather has turned out just fine for the long weekend ...enjoy

thinking i need to get out as well ,,,i can feel a daytrip down south of here into nsw comming up ...via the back roads of corse ..

71Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 pm

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
I'm the winner :/

Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Spline

How much it will cost in Bruno service?

http://tchorzewski.net

72Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:59 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ...

yes that certainly gets a vote ....its stuffed

73Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:07 pm

frogy

frogy
Silver member
Silver member
Oh I don't know,there might be two good teeth in there somewhere:(

74Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:40 pm

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
frogy wrote:Oh I don't know,there might be two good teeth in there somewhere:(

There is no good teeth... damn!
shipping to canada will cost me a fortune :/ I need to find a cheaper solution

75Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You can buy a weld on replacement spline for thr shaft from Motobins http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K%20Series.
As for the drive spline you may be best to source a good complete unit.

76Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:41 pm

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
I bought used whole rear axle.
Spline looks like new one Smile

Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Newspline

It is 32/11 not 31/11 but I think I will not notice the difference.

Does anyone know what the meaning of these markings on the shaft?

77Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty ratio Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
31/11 is from an rs
32/11 is for the RT
I'm not sure why BMW put the taller rear end in the RS, perhaps to get a few more mph at top speed, or thinking the rt needed a lower ratio to pull all the heavy gear & passenger load & perhaps a chair and or a traler.
If it were me I'd have the 3/11 installed if possible. Reason: we have GOBS of available torque with any K. we don't really need a lower ratio. I kind of assume that the miles per gallon will be better with the rs gear (although I'm sure someone will contradict that). Since the fuel tank is so small to start with, I think the taller gear makes a lot more sense (unless you race your rt???

78Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition - Page 2 Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That is a good buy there Lifeguard you have done well now to keep the grease up to it.
I have no idea what the markings are but my guess is batch numbers maybe.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum