BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Hello from North Idaho Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 pm

deerslayer

deerslayer
hi fellow k fans, just purchased 1985 k100 rt, she is in a bit of a sad state for now due to the previous owner connecting with nature, ( ie hitting a deer at about 45mph, hence the "deerslayer" bit ). Anyway i was fortunate enough to stumble upon this incredible forum while doing a search on the bike. Thank you all who have contributed so many incredible tech articles which have already come in handy. The bike sustained only cosmetic damage from the collision, the fairing and cowl and such cracked and heavily scratched. Already disassembled all of the body/ trim parts, and plan to convert from and rt style to the more naked k100c or standard,(pardon my ignorance, still learning about these incredible bricks) im also planning on blending the look of the lt as well, with the black motor with polished fins. But for now im working on all things mechanical, the bike was parked six years ago after the fateful crash, so the gas was completely trashed(straight varnish) removed tank and drained, replaced with fresh fuel and seafoam, changed oil and filter,(old was sparkly clean much to my delight) hooked up battery leads and she started without too much trouble!! completely blew me away after sitting for that long. Ran a bit rough which is not surprising for the conidtion of the old fuel, also all the vacuum caps were all cracked, along with the crankcase vent. Now im replacing all the rubber bits which have deteriorated. I apologize for the long post.. as you can tell I am etremely excited to own such an incredible machine, and look forward to wrenching on her, and of course riding. I look forward to hearing from you and perhaps riding with some of you if there are any in the Coeur d' Alene area.

2Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:38 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome deerslayer. Nice to see another Brick getting to its knees and then its feet again. The rubbers at the TB's also can give grief so have a look at those. You should likely plan to chuck the tires and put on new ones since they'll be hard as rock by now, even if the tread looks good. Drop and replace all the fluids while you're at it so you know what you're starting with. I'll bet you'll be able to just about break even selling your old RT parts and getting the C parts.

I am also part of the Seafoam cult, awesome stuff that I don't think you can get outside NA, so our overseas friends will have something to be envious about.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

3Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum Deerslayer. I do hope he fared better that the last guy that I know who hit a deer.
Like Club c was saying with the fluids I would also get some DeoxIT which is a cleaner for electrical contacts and connectors and treat as many of the connectors you can find.
Over the last few years the Ks have been developing problems because of dirty connectors and if you can stop some dveloping you will be a good yard in front of the game.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:08 am

deerslayer

deerslayer
Apreciate the tips, i have looked around a little for the Deoxit, but have come up empty handed. Where are you sourcing yours??

5Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:15 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Any decent music shop should have it. It's used to clean contacts on sound mixing boards and the like. Don't settle for any other brand. If you're really stuck its made by Caig. Google that for a local supplier.

6Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 am

deerslayer

deerslayer
Thanks club c, i'll call around tomorrow. Beautiful up there in BC, been through there a few times. Planning a ride up through Glacier National Park, then up through BC hitting Nelson and heading up to Banff as well. Should be an amazing ride.

7Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:04 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome deerslayer to our forum. Did the dear deer die? Was it an old woman riding? If so, how did the old dear fare in the accident with the dear deer? Oh dear, I better finish off. Welcome again and all the members are as sane as me.

8Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 am

deerslayer

deerslayer
Sounds good ainsjac, thats one thing that stood out about this group, a great sense of humor.. glad im not alone

9Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome deer ,,,good to see new folks here ...ifn you get stuck we're just here abouts, somewhere ...

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
good morning from Hamburg

for "naked" inspirations

naked K models

K1100/2

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

11Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Back in July '07 I had the pleasure of riding and camping from Portland OR to Glacier NP (first bike through on the 3rd of July after the Going To The Sun highway opened from the previous Winter's snow), through Coeur d' Alene, across Washington state's Cascade mountains to the Seattle area and then back down to PDX. I remember a long reservoir in Idaho where the main highway and all the traffic went along the East side and the really excellent narrow and twisty motorbike road went along the West side high above the water to the dam below. I would fly to the States just to ride that road again! Do you know of it, Deerslayer?

(Update: Above Libby Dam, highway 37 on the East side and the National Forest Development Road 228 on the West side in the Kootenai National Forest. Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my. Well, bears anyway. Awesome!)

Hello from North Idaho Glacie10
Saint Mary Lake in Glacier NP from the East end.
Hello from North Idaho Glacie11

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

12Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:07 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Nice introduction deerslayer (never too long).
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the resoration.

CF

13Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 am

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome aboard deerslayer. The rebuild will give you a chance to get really familiar with your new bike before that awesome trip you've planned.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

14Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:35 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi deerslayer welcome to the forum, Deer are a concern over here too I always ride or drive with caution and its not just the first one you see but his mate following to watch out for.

BIG D

15Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Nice to see you Guest In The House.

16Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
What is this SEAFOAM you speak of? I've always thought that it was the white, salty frothy stuff that happens at the beach.

Welcome to the forum!!

Rickmeister.

17Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Only the best fuel treatment EVER for cleaning fuel systems. Apparantly not available outside North America.

18Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I'm dying to get my hands on a can of that stuff.

Welcome Deerslayer.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

19Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome along deerslayer. You've come to the right place to get help with the rebuild. Watch out for those deer yourself!
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

20Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Deerslayer. Don't think i would want to hit a deer, came close once. That was enough to keep my heart rate up for a bit.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Hello from North Idaho 170874

21Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:45 am

deerslayer

deerslayer
Ulrich_Grabau wrote:What is this SEAFOAM you speak of? I've always thought that it was the white, salty frothy stuff that happens at the beach.

Welcome to the forum!!

Rickmeister.

Ah yes...the magical fuel treatment all gearheads of NA have come to know and love. Quite amazing stuff, every mechanic (good one) i know swears by the stuff.

22Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:25 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ulrich_Grabau wrote:What is this SEAFOAM you speak of? I've always thought that it was the white, salty frothy stuff that happens at the beach.

Welcome to the forum!!

Rickmeister.

Google is your friend

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

23Back to top Go down   Hello from North Idaho Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:03 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great to have you on board, hooved rats are a major and serious problem in North America I am on a couple of US forums where there is hardly a member who has not either hit one, has a close relative who has hit one or has a friend who has hit one. Several have had friends or relatives killed as a result. So it is good to have you around and good to hear the bike survived the impact.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum