BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Leaky intake Empty Leaky intake Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:55 pm

James

James
Silver member
Silver member
I've been riding the K around a bit, exploring all of the sandy country roads around my house. Everything is pretty good except the intake leaks. I'm just having so many problems with umetered air, it seems like it's coming in everywhere.

I did the injector rings but still had a leak so I replaced them again and it mostly cured air there. There is still the tiniest bit of a leak there so I'm thinking there's dirt or a burr causing it. Not to bothered about those since the rings are cheap.

There's also a leak under the intake manifold rubber. When I tried to fix it the first time I noticed it wasn't completely flat and looked melted. I don't really know how to explain it well but it had a raised bit and just didn't look right. I put a little threebond there and it helped a lot but still leaks.

Those intake manifolds are pretty expensive more than $200 for 4 new is pretty ridiculous. Are they supposed to be completely flat on the bottom or is the little raised bit normal b/c I I really don't want to have to replace them and that doesn't look right.

The symptoms I'm having are: stalling when stopping, low mpg, hard starting without choke, slight delay in throttle response from idle and it bogs at 5k and jerks the bike. It's my assumption that these are all probably because of the leaks but other opinions would be good.

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1651-leaky-intakes-rough-running
I read this^ to and even though those rubber bits are expensive it seems they need to be replaced and it's a life of the bike thing from this point but it will be a hard purchase to make.

2Back to top Go down   Leaky intake Empty leaky intake Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
How did you isolate the source of the leak(s)? BMW parts are certainly expensive; be sure you are buying something you actually need. I recently made the mistake of contributing to BMW's bottom line for no good reason. I don't want to do that again! Crying or Very sad

3Back to top Go down   Leaky intake Empty Re: Leaky intake Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:38 pm

James

James
Silver member
Silver member
I can hear the hissing and I sprayed soapy water on them and it bubbles in all the suspect places and kills the engine.

I did order all the rubber pieces and clamps I needed, I'm pretty sure the bike wouldn't even run when it's raining if I don't replace them. Oh well at least I'll have no intake leaks after this, or have to worry about the bike stalling at lights and stop signs.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum