BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Crankcase breather hose Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi everyone
amongst all the other small problems I've had and fixed, I noticed that I am without a crankcase breather hose at all. I have read a few posts about this tube, but mine just has a small traingularish shaped hole on the top of the crankcas, and checking against my 86 model spares bike, it had the same, with just a small tube stuck in it a fair way, and looped down and out under the crankcase. (to breath I assume).
Anyway, I was thinking of just sticking this tube in on my 85 Blue Max, but other posts seem to suggest it should have a more formal setup.
Anyone seen anything similar?
Thanks
RT

2Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:02 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
triangularish hole ? wow rt ....

but yes the breather is important ....check at the plenum that there isnt a largish hole to the atmosphere, i thought the breather was about 10mm inside diameter so you should find a fairly largish metal tube to mount the breather tube to ....same behind the coils ...more or less slightly forward , a verticle port of about 10 mm

this might explain quite a few things about your idle and all the rest of the stuff that might have been affecting performance

crikey ...i think you need either 1 > to make our workshop day on april 14th up at kingaroy or

2> someone ...or many of us ...to arrive at your place for a few days

wouldnt cost a lot ....well let me rephrase that ...wouldnt cost as much as the bmw dealer ...after all we would expect copious amounts of grog .......grin

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:29 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Have a look at this link to see whether your bike is 'missing' the all-important crankcase vent hose 'tween airbox and cylinder block. It's item number ten. She sure wouldn't idle or run very well at all without it. It is, as Chazza suggested, at the back of the block behind the ignition coils, shaped like a lazy 'S', and is clamped on at both ends - the airbox and the aluminium flange on the block. Perhaps you're just not seeing it...Or you're taking the piss.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0503&mospid=51751&btnr=11_4676&hg=11&fg=11

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

4Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Crankcase breather hose Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well obviously I have given you guys a misleading description. I will try and get a piccy later today. It is not the S shaped hose, I replaced that several thousand dollars ago.
When I was away with the boys last year I noticed everyone had two small breather hoses hanging down underneath their bikes. One is the battery breather, and I now guess the other is a "transmission"breather (not crankcase as stated. I have already gone to the back of the class for that).
I actually have neither. The battery I can fix ( except I don't seem to have a nozzle outlet on my battery).
The other is only about 4 mil inside diameter black hose coming form underneath where the battery holding plate sits. When I get my camera out later I can show you. Thanks for your bewilderment.
And no, Guest, was not taking the pess, just being naive yet again.
Cheers
RT

Last edited by RT on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

5Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sounds to me that you have the left overs of a battery breather hose. The small hole under the battery carrier just goes through the case and into the viod behind the swingingarm and was for a battery breather tube. The vent for the gearbox is at the front of the gearbox and almost under the starter (it cant be seen till you remove the starter). If you don't have a little stub to attach a breather to the battery then it is most likely a sealed maintenance free one.
The only breather your crankcase will have is the one with the z shaped tube from the plenum chamber.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:08 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Crankcase breather hose Img_1116
So this is normal then, although the tube was vented downwards to the ground.
Crankcase breather hose Img_1117
That is the battery carrier there with tube underneath. Of course my real bike is nowhere near as dirty.

7Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:14 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
there should be one other tube going down there ...or near there also ...that is the cup under tank drain hose ..

just a heads up

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 am

greecek100rt

greecek100rt
23,11 $ !!!!!!!! the vent hose

any suggestions for somenthing cheaper ????

Crankcase breather hose 710

9Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
greecek100rt wrote:any suggestions for somenthing cheaper ????
Buy three of them before the price rises again........they have a short average lifespann.

Placing a order in US?........£10,50 (+VAT, which you don`t pay) from Motobins.

10Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
RT: The hose you have in the piccie is an old battery breather hose.

Charlie: The drain hose from the "cup" is routed down behind the right footrest bridge.

11Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Re: Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Just for info, the early K's, before the 'cup', had two hoses from the tank, vent and overflow, both running behind the right footrest.
Paul.

12Back to top Go down   Crankcase breather hose Empty Crankcase breather hose Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:18 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks,
I can put this one to bed now, something less to worry about.
Now to replace the coolant sight tube, man this is never ending.
RT :arrow:

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum