BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
Hi all,
i have just been given a K100lt that has been sitting outside for over 2 years Evil or Very Mad,

I gave it a quick once over, fresh fuel & plugs and its going in & out of gears & firing on all four but i cant get it to idle,
When i changed the plugs i could start it with a bit of throttle or with the choke pinned fully but when i let the throttle go
the choke runs at about 1.5k rpm and it wont idle at all,
also the fuel pump sounds like its running constantly(full tank of fuel)is this normal?

Anybody got any suggestions on what to try first? Very Happy

2Back to top Go down   getting the bike running after been stood for years Empty Check the crankcase breather tube Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
First thing to check is the crankcase breather tub that runs from the left side rear of the engine to the air intake piping just above and behind the fuel injector supply rail. This is an S shaped black rubber tube. If it is cracked or broken (leaking air) it can cause similar symptoms.
Before that first insure that the oil fill hole cap on the right rear top of the engine is screwed on correctly so the engine can not ingest air there.

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
The oil cap is nice and tight, i did think it may be an air leak so sprayed easy start all around the airbox and pipes and found no leaking

gmcq

gmcq
Gold member
Gold member
Fuel pumps are noisy and run constantly. Check the throttle cable is not snagging and when closed/ sticking in the sleeve - the arm down by the throttle bodies should be closing against its stop. When the choke is off, is it off?

GMcQ

AuntieBB

AuntieBB
Ruddiger wrote:..been sitting outside for over 2 years...
Hmmm... who knows what's crawled in there in that time? Pull off the 'snorkel' & check the air filter and make sure a funnel web or (insert northern hemisphere equivalent) hasn't made your bike its home.

Last edited by AuntieBB on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : damn forum ate my text in < brackets !)

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
cool, ill give them a look tomorrow(hopefully) planning on stripping the fairings and tank off but though it would be a good idea to get a few suggestions and i dont have the space to leave the bike dismatled so will have to try a few things a time!

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
The fuel pump will run as soon as you press the starter button and will continue to run while the engine is running.
Some pumps are noisier than others but as long as they are working.
One thing might be worth checking is the brass, air bleed screws on the injector bodies. They control the amount of air flowed at tick over. Maybe someone has screwed them too far in and no air is flowing.
Might be worth removing each in turn, counting the number of turns, and giving the tips a clean. They can get a bit gummed up and effect the air flow. Use cotton buds to clean out the holes.
The crankcase breather pipe letting air in is usually the most likely cause of no tick over.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
cheers John ill give that a go, do you know what the standard setting is for the air screws? or is it best to wind them in all the way and gradually wind them out till a decent idle?
part of the problem with the bike is the guy i got it off bought it as a project and couldnt get it going so he may have set everything wrong to begin with!

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
start at 1 1/2 turns out then starting at no2 adjust till idles bit better then adjust rest Smile if you take the mixture screws out to clean can't remember but think they have a rubber seal on them that crack causing a leak

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
nice one, cheers man.

I will get a manual in the next few days so i dont have to keep asking the basics Smile

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
nice one, cheers Smile

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
1 1/2 turns would be a good starting point IF the screws are right in. If they are set you will need vacuum gauges to reset them if you lose the adjustment.
The screws do have O rings but I think you would have an erratic tick over rather than none if they were cracked.
Reminded me of something else to check.
The front 3 injectors have blanking caps on the vacuum take off pipes and a rubber hose on the the back one. These can disappear or disintegrate and ruin tick over.
Whatever it is, it won't be difficult or expensive to fix. Its a K!
You have the combined brainpower of all the forum. That's the equivalent of at least nearly 2 chimpanzees.
Keep us posted on what happens.

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
next to the adjusting screw along the injector rail are rubber caps. These crack and allow air in, replace these. If as a temp; measure you can get a piece of tubing that fits tight and plug the end.
I think you will find your problem here Ajays

AJAYS

15Back to top Go down   getting the bike running after been stood for years Empty no idle Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 am

sven k100

sven k100
why not just increase the tickover speed at the throttle stop screw in the middle of the throttle bodies ?. Then once the bike is in use any underlying problem, like blocked air filter or throttle imbalance will become apparent.

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Dooh!
Sometimes we can overlook the bleeding obvious.
Hopefully it's that simple.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum