BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Cleaning up the K75S Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:13 pm

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
I'm getting my K75S ready for the road after it has stood unused for 5 years. I've completed most of the routine maintenance tasks and I'm waiting for some parts and a battery to arrive. I decided in the meantime to clean the underside of the bike. I couldn't believe how filthy it was in places I neglected on the usual weekend wash and polish cycle. I was concerned about the amount of oil and grime around the clutch actuating lever. Is this normal, or does it indicate an oil leak from somewhere?

Cleaning up the K75S K75S_26-years-of-crud

I was also concerned about the oil and grime on the underside of the final drive, but having cleaned it up, the seal at the drain plug seems sound. Again, is this normal?

Cleaning up the K75S K75S_final-drive

Some good news: the splines on the final drive seem to be in pretty good condition.

Cleaning up the K75S K75S_final-drive-shaft-spli

...and the frame members underneath the tank are in good nick with only a little corrosion there (but it sure was dusty in there).

Cleaning up the K75S K75S_under-the-petrol-tank

There is some pitting on the oil /water pump cover but it's dry there.

Cleaning up the K75S K75S_water-pump-casing

Yesterday I tried to start the bike by connecting leads to my car's battery, but nothing happened. I've started to clean the earth connections and when I get some Deoxit (or equivalent if not available in SA) I will refresh the cable connections.
Any comments / pointers will be much appreciated.

Chris

Last edited by C_Mick on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:25 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added photos, improved layout.)

2Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re: Cleaning up the K75S Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:31 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
chris , i think i have noticed similar ...check around the bellows type seal on the actuation lever ...its not uncommon that that boot leaks or splits ...coukl also be associated with the output seal of the gearbox ...just in front of the driveshaft ...but hidden by the concertina boot between the swing arm and gearbox .

the bevel box drive shaft input (pinion) seal (where we have to lubricate the splines) is another sorce of oil leaking .

the input shaft seal to the gearbox could also be hiding another oil leak ...or the output shaft from the motor .- clutch could also be weeping

well thats where i would be looking

have a look at the thread " spline lub and leaky seal " by guest in the house ...who has just done those areas today

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re: Cleaning up the K75S Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 pm

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated. BTW I've added some photos to my previous post which give you a bit more info to go on.
Cheers, Chris

PS Is Gertie related to Hermann Von Splineschaft by any chance?

4Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re: Cleaning up the K75S Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:02 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Gerty is proffesor Von Nutzenboltz sister

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re: Cleaning up the K75S Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hey i style my bent in appreciation of the "k" bike after madeline kahn ...and all those steve martin "the man with two brains " type german accent and corny humor ....

hey its nothing new,, but ifn it gives you a smile,, mission accomplished grin Razz Smile

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re. Lilly Von Schtupp Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:08 am

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:hey i style my bent in appreciation of the "k" bike after madeline kahn ...Razz Smile

Charlie, I share your taste. Madeline Kahn...unforgettable...I loved her in the role of Lilly Von Schtupp in Blazing Saddles, especially her rendition of I'm So Tired.

7Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re: Cleaning up the K75S Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:36 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lilly von schtupp ....omg ..laughing just thinking about it ....mel brooks has a lot to answer for huh ?

looking at the pics ...you have serveral oil leaks one of whick looks like the oil-water pump seals

i would be thinking by the amount of oil possibly a few seals in and around the gearbox and output bell housing as well .........all quite normal for the age of our bikes ....rubber stuff and oil doesnt mix too well and then we add heat ...just to harden it all up some more .

all fixable ...with time and patience

8Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re: Cleaning up the K75S Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Cmick when ya finish playing around back there, that 1st photo showing the clutch actuating arm. I spray paint mine with chain lude so it looks like yours does now. The spray on type does some evaporating and you would be left with a waxy smear or seal on your clutch arm and actuating pivots, It may or maynot be something others would do but i did it to stop corrosion of the clutch pivot pin. Food for thought when ya finished the big clean up. Hopefully others will read this and confirn if its actually a sound practise. An old bloke named Max Cameron nagged me till I bought a BMW and that was part of his practises.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

9Back to top Go down   Cleaning up the K75S Empty Re: Cleaning up the K75S Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 pm

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for your comment, K75cster, I missed it earlier. I have cleaned up the areas in question and I'm going to run the bike for a bit and monitor closely for sign of an oil leak. I thought I would put a smear of grease on the threads of the clutch adjuster mechanism and the rubber boot - the general purpose grease I use is synthetic and is fine for lubricating rubber seals I'm told.

Regards, Chris

Last edited by C_Mick on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum