BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:31 pm

tdkclydes

tdkclydes
Hello , I am having some trouble chasing down a electrical problem . I get no lights on the instrument panel , also no brake lights turn signals or horn . The tail running light comes on and the small light at the top of the headlight . On the top fuse I have no power , also no power on the bottom 2 fuses . At the ignition switch I have power on the red and gray wires but nothing on the gray/ blue stripped or the green . I had every thing working and the bike running . The work I have done just prior to the problem was 1) lubed the rear drive shaft splines . 2) replaced the brake light bulb , 3) installes a new battery 4) I had the headlight bulb connector off to check the type of bulb ( looking at installing a relay and modulator ) . Could the neutral switch be holding things out ?

Thank you Tom

2Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Seems like you got two problems:
Horn, flasher, main light........LSR related.
instrument light: could be in the cluster connector, or less likely in the harness.

3Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 pm

tdkclydes

tdkclydes
Would the LSR prevent the starter from working ? Other than the running lights ( head and tail ) I get nothing . I had the instrument cluster off to clean the connection for the speedo and every thing was OK after .

4Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Have checked the wiring diagram, it looks like the problem is a bit earlier in the current flow.

As you ain`t got power on the green wire, it`s your ignition switch that needs a closer investigation.

5Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:03 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye inge! ...read my mind ...the green should have power unless there is a high resistance on the red input wire to the switch at the connector

\possibly a clean up of the connections going to the ign switch ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Also that it`s power on grey wire, and not on the blue/gray confirms that it also is a internal short in the ignition switch.

Normaly the grey wire (park/tail) should be powered from the blue/gray wire (from the light switch)........
except when the ignition switch is in the park position, then it`s powered from the red wire.

7Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 pm

tdkclydes

tdkclydes
I pulled the ignition switch and have power on the red and the gray lead . No power on the green or the gray and blue stripped . Is there a way to jumper around to check the condition of the switch .

8Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
With ignition on following wires should be connected:
Red to green.
Gray/blue to gray.

But you won`t read any voltage at the gray/blue, since it powered from the green wire earlier in the circuit.

Ignition switch dismantling.

Last edited by Inge K. on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the switch can be dissasembled ...for a clean up ...watch out for a verry small screw in the side ....put the whole switch in a bag before attempting to undo it ....to keep track of that screw

are you sure that the switch is actually turning all the way to the on position ....we have seen a few switches that really didnt go all the way home properly ...probably due to the key mechanism which i have seen on a few now, to be verry loose .

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:37 pm

tdkclydes

tdkclydes
Let me ask a newbi question , the 1st position ( all the way to the left ) is off , the 2nd position is start / run and the 3rd is ? . With the switch in the #2 position I get running lights in the #3 nothing .

If I understand to jumper past the switch the red is connected green and the gray is connected to the gray / blue ?

11Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:40 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
all the way left = off

middle position= park -tail lights

all the way right =ign on

or thats how it should be and yes red to green in the ignition on position, etc

12Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:47 pm

tdkclydes

tdkclydes
I jumpered the red to the green and every thing works . I am off to clean an ignition switch . You guys are amazing !!!!!!!

Thank you very much Tom

to whome do I send the beer ?

13Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
tdkclydes wrote:to whome do I send the beer ?
You have to send two, one in each direction.

14Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:21 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no no ...send it to inge ...he got it right on the button ...and a good post about the switch cleaning link ...

ill call around later inge and see what you got huh ?

15Back to top Go down   No dash lights / won't start Empty Re: No dash lights / won't start Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:ill call around later inge and see what you got huh ?

No dash lights / won't start Dsc00010

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum