BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Nivomat shock Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Does anyone have any experience of the Nivomat shock which was standard on LT's for a while? Seems like a good idea in theory, a shock which automatically adjusts damping and pre-load according to the riding conditions.
Found one on ebay in the USA for $30 and just received it. Was going to try it out tomorrow.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

2Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:34 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
That was really cheap. I would be very interested to know if it's as efficient as they claim.
Keep us posted.

Thanks

Bert

3Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Nivomat shock Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Unfortunately, the postage from the USA to N Ireland cost me a lot more than the shock.
I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow, providing it doesn't bounce me over a hedge!

4Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Comberjohn wrote:Unfortunately, the postage from the USA to N Ireland cost me a lot more than the shock.
I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow, providing it doesn't bounce me over a hedge!

Was it necessary to have it wrapped with shamrocks for the shipping???
Shamrocks are rare and expensive in North america. Rolling Eyes Question

5Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Nivomat shock Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:32 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Took the LT out with the Nivomat shock today for a trial run. Well worth the $30!
Did about 150 miles along the Antrim coast. Nice day, sunny, 20C once the rain stopped.
First surprise was that I could both feet flat on the ground. I'm short in the leg, 29", and even with the standard unit on the lowest setting I had problems balancing when stopped. Also, with the standard unit on the lowest setting it frequently bottomed out over bumps.
Despite driving over plenty of bumps, not hard to find on our roads, it didn't bottom out once. The only downside was when I pushed it on a sweeping bend the damping could have been better. Not dangerous, but not perfect. Probably a compromise but I've stopped chasing Fireblades and R1's now anyway.
Haven't tried it with a passenger or with any weight in the panniers but according to what I've read, it just adjusts the pre load automatically.
All in all it seems to be a good piece of kit, certainly better than the standard unit. So why didn't BMW use it more?
I suppose one reason was the cost as I'm sure it was considerably more expensive to manufacture than the standard unit.
My theory is that the bike buying public didn't like the look of it. Sure, it's fully enclosed from the elements and should last a long time and it seems to work. BUT it's not sexy!
Shocks are supposed to have exposed springs, remote reservoirs and be in bright colours and that makes you a better rider.(Doesn't it?)
I found a reference on the BMWOA forum from someone who got a bargain price on a Nivomat some years ago because the previous owner didn't think it looked 'macho' enough. Takes all sorts I suppose.
If you get a chance to buy one at the right price, give it a try. I'm going to keep a look out for another one on ebay as a spare. Unfortunately, they are not rebuildable.

6Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:46 am

roys

Silver member
Silver member
I wonder if one can still get them?
Perhaps some car (cheaper?) SKU fits?
Here is a trchnical article about them: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/nivomat.pdf

Roy

7Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Nivomat shock Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:39 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Roy.
I had already read that article. Very technical. I think that the operation of the unit is similar whether for cars or K100's but with the car units, the springing and dampers are separate. Whereas due to limitations in size and weight mean that a bike unit must be combined.
Also, to use a unit intended for a car could be like putting a unit from a Gold Wing onto a trail bike. Because of the way they change the pre loading of the spring, I think they would have to be designed for a specific vehicle within certain weight parameters.
That article you mentioned has a section that recommends you contact their research department if you have a specific requirement.
I just have this fantasy that somewhere in the world a BMW dealer has a NOS (new old stock) Nivomat sitting at the back of a shelf for 20 years and would take a bad price for it! Ah well, dream on.

Comberjohn

8Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:41 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Well John it seems that you made a good deal and after reading your comment, I will think about acquiring one.

Where do you park your bike at night time? Evil or Very Mad :pirat:

Bert

9Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:15 pm

nickonoonoo

nickonoonoo
I've had this type of shock on my 88 lt since June 2009. Much better than the coiled version on my previous RT. I travel 60 miles a day on country roads (the atlantic highway - Bidefrod to Bude). Very comfy and seem to be better on bends. Would recommend to anybody!

http://www.animatedworksheets.co.uk

10Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:49 pm

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
@Comberjohn (or anyone actually):
Does this nivomat fir on the RS also, or is it an "LT only" item with a different spring rate or travel?
I like the concept and will look for one.

11Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:51 pm

The Nivomat shock could be used on any pre-Paralever K bike. They're as rare as rocking horse pooh though. They were first used by BMW motorrad on the Airhead R100RT and though this model has twin shocks this is what they look like.

Nivomat shock Nivoma10

12Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:26 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great find john ....nice to hear some one with a win .......enjoy

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Nivomat shock Empty Re: Nivomat shock Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
I bought an 87 LT with a bad engine as a spares bike a few weeks ago. It had a Nivomat shock on it which I swapped over to my RT. It is so much better than the standard shock over bumps. The standard unit is OK on smooth main roads, but on a bumpy back road you get bounced out of the seat. Mind you I managed to bottom out the Nivomat last Sunday on a short spin around County Clare. I hit two sharp dips on the road and got a good old rattle up the backbone. The standard shock would have pitched me out of the seat over the same dips!!! bounce

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum