BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

elle

elle
Silver member
Silver member
Hi has anyone got measurements for bevel to swing arm bolts please diameter,length and pitch,
from my parts list and realm got that 4 bolts are M10 x 45 (no pitch assume its standard liking that about BMWs!!!!) and also radiator drain plug is M10 x1 (no pitch).
Tried to remove both earlier figured itd be easier to use flush in system for a journey then renew only to find head corroded so cant remove!
So then moved to other job intended to do spline lube and the weakest link left corroded bolt inner head not allen or spanner but nut.So a bit stuck going to replace with stainless wondered if hi tensile steel best for arm joints as its also a load bearere.
thanks
pete

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Standard pitch for the bolts are :
M10 x 150 (10mm x .150mm pitch)
Don't ask me how many threads per inch Very Happy That would be easy to calculate...

Standard metric is:
M6 x 100
M8 x 125
M10 x 150

Just a tip, when you have a 6mm hole where the thread is gone, you can tap it to 1/4 fine thread. 1/4 is 6.35mm

Hey as a Canadian, I am used to use Imperial and Metric.
Canada is officially in metric, but as a previous British Dominion, we are still using inches and miles/gallon.

Anyone have measurements?looks like ive got to drill and destroy!! Frog15Anyone have measurements?looks like ive got to drill and destroy!! Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

elle

elle
Silver member
Silver member
thanks ,guess the service history lied or air gun too tight!!
Couldnt believe it just as i thought it had started to move it turns out to be the head hole!!
pete
Stainless is the only answer in UK and a massive umbrella!

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Stainless and Never Seez Very Happy

Now here is a tip: Take a punch a hit the inside of the head with a good size hammer. It may lose the thread. Hitting the screw may give a little bit of slack on the thread and help to remove a "stocked" screw.

Anyone have measurements?looks like ive got to drill and destroy!! Frog15Anyone have measurements?looks like ive got to drill and destroy!! Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi elle,
I am not a fan of stainless into alloy there is just too much electrochemical voltage difference and corrosion is common. Also stainless is not as strong as conventional bolts. Stainless also suffers corrosion when wet and there is no free circulation of air so not good when it passes through a flange or into a hole.

For getting a bolt out a couple of good shocks with a punch and also when hot put on a shot of PB Blaster and a couple of more shots as it cools down. The idea is as the air in the thread cools it draws the penetrant into the thread. give it a couple of goes over a couple of days and then have a go at removing it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum