BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Fuel tank overheating. Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:41 am

Spooky

I have a 1987 K100, and find that in hot weather the fuel tank can get so hot it starts to boil the fuel (at low levels). Any suggestions?

Thanks

2Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:35 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The tank comes originally with 3 pieces of insulating material. This material is glued under the tank.
If your bike has been repainted, there is a good chance that this material has been discarded.
See the picture for part #s

Fuel tank overheating. K100-t10

3Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Spooky

High and thanks for the reply. I've had the tank off several times chasing this problem, its the original paint work and the insulation is still in place. So still scratching my head, but thanks for the reply.

4Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:12 am

kbikerider

kbikerider
I read about a similar problem on another forum some time ago. In that scenario the fuel return hose at the front corner of the tank was being exposed to too much hot air coming off the radiator and fan. This was causing the tank and the fuel to get very hot. Try insulating the hose and see what happens. Just a thought.
Cheers
Jeff

5Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Sun May 04, 2008 1:21 am

abreeze

I have a 87 Motorsport. The K bike fuel system is a closed loop system: the fuel is constantly circulated through the tank by the fuel hoses exposed to all the heat from the radiator. You figure the heat from the radiator is 200+deg. Thats HOT.

Using plumbing pipe insulator(the cheap grey stuf from Home Depot) cover all the fuel line. You need to remove the airbox to get the return line from the regulator and cover the fuel rail too.

Ive done this and the tank never gets hotter than ambient temps. This doesnt solve the hot air coming from the radiator but keeps the tank cool. To solve this I used some firewall insulator(1/4 " fiberglass with aluminum cover) to force the air out of the side vents.

Amazingly....the last year of the stock k11rs('96) has all these mods done...and no insulation under the tank??

http://www.yamaha-triples.org/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumi

6Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:44 pm

red green

as weel dont let the tank get too low
in cars if the pump[which uses fuel for cooling] gets too hot will fail

7Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:30 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Folks,
Really important point from red green because heat is merely uncomfortable whereas a dead fuel pump is a major karate chop to the bank balance. You go into the dealer who says "Hold out your wallet and repeat after me - Help Yourself" The points made above are exactly what is recommended in several K related keeping cool comments. To précis the advice on the net get some heat insulating plastic or rubber foam that is designed to insulate and be exposed to the 100 C air coming off the radiator and engine and using that insulation and 3 M glue like their excellent General Trim Adhesive use that to block all points where hot air can leak from the high pressure air zone behind the radiator to the lower pressure zone around your legs. A very large amount of the hot air will then go out the side vents. Insulating under the tank is a good plan as is insulating the fuel hoses. A number of people who live in quite hot parts of the US like Texas have successfully insulated their K Bikes until they have progressively blocked off all the heat they can.

Look up insulation suppliers in the Yellow Pages and ring around for those who sell the heat insulating foam in sheet and pipe insulation, Armaflex is a proprietary brand and is of very high quality. You may well find if you talk to industrial air conditioning installers who put in the big plant they will let you have off-cuts from a job. You don't need much compared to the cubic metres they use on a job.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I am currently working through all the ideas already posted on this and other forums. I have insulated the fuel lines as per abreeze and the next step is to insulate underneath the tank as much as possible with some self adhesive car firewall/ underbonnet insulation which is quite thin but designed to reflect radiant heat so we will see how it goes.

Now a question. A suggestion from another forum (IBMWR?) was to remove the large rubber seals from around the fork legs that join to the fairing which was done before I got the bike but the idea is to fit some small air scoops that will direct air up and also cool the tank. These were supposedly available as a mod from BMW. Any ideas before I try and modify something else.

With luck I will have it all done just in time for the cooler weather Very Happy

Regards,

Phil

9Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Fri May 08, 2009 2:58 am

moorefsd

I have the modified scoops installed on my rt and they do help in the hot weather. Also I have insulated everything. The bike runs better in hot weather.

10Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Fri May 08, 2009 3:36 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
moorefsd wrote:I have the modified scoops installed on my rt and they do help in the hot weather

Any chance of posting a photo and were they available as a spare part or did your bike have them already fitted.

Regards,

Phil

11Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member

12Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Fri May 08, 2009 6:42 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rene, not quite what I was expecting them to look like but would certainly help.

I have also seen a post regarding fitting a vent in the lower part of the screen which Bert suggested a while back so will be worth doing when things warm up again down here.

Regards,

Phil

13Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Fri May 08, 2009 1:53 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Remember those Vetter Windjammers? I have one on my Honda CB750K (1980) and they had vents in the screens, which helped to equal out some of the pressure difference over the screen. That was great to reduce some of the noice around your head.
The 1100 had a vent in the lower part of the fairing, at the sides, which allowed a lot of the heat build up to be reduced. Maybe that's an option?? Cheers, Rene.

14Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue May 19, 2009 4:38 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
BTW, just bought a set of the scoops with fasteners etc for about £5.00 from MotorWorks (second hand scoops, new fasteners) How's that for a deal!

15Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue May 19, 2009 6:08 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Good deal indeed but I think I will have to fabricate something as I could not justify the freight.

Do you really need them in Scotland? Very Happy

I am pretty sure I will be able to do without them here for the next few months at least.

Regards,

Phil

16Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue May 19, 2009 11:43 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Phil, you're right, but here's me waiting (wishing!!!!) for summer.

Do you realy feel that shipping would be expensive? If you're willing to wait..................maybe by snail mail.

17Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue May 19, 2009 7:45 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rene, the "trouble" if you like with Motobins etc is that everything is sent to the colonies as express freight which is excellent service but not cheap (about 30 GBP) so unless I was to buy something else..... it is a tad on the expensive side.

I am sure I can make up some sort of hideous replica that will do the job now I know what they look like.

Regards,

Phil

18Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue May 19, 2009 8:57 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Hey, I was seriously considering installing some computer fans on the fairing to extract the heat from the engine. This is cheap Very Happy

19Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue May 19, 2009 10:21 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bert I was flirting with the idea of Peltier Effect plates but that would probably have involved some sort of large heatsink out in the airflow but perhaps another challenge for you engineers out there Very Happy

Regards,

Phil

20Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 am

Helmut118

Spooky
When was the last fuel filter replacement?
A fuel pump working very hard does what? Draws more current to get the job done..It Draws a ton of current under heavy load then some of which gets lost as heat.
The fuel is a natural coolant for the pump and as the level of the tank drops the remaining fuel gets hotter, you know where this is going.
Pop the fuel pump fuse out and insert an amp meter in it's place then start the bike,after things settle into an idle compare your current draw to a friends K bike and that will tell the story.

Pain is the teacher

Helmut118

21Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Helmut,

You get a very good point about a clogged fuel filter.

I personally always try to refill the tank when the 7 liters warning light comes on. This way, I always have enough gas to keep the pump immersed and cooled down.

Bert

22Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:35 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi All,
The air scoops are available from your friendly BMW sealer and I bought a set recently here in NZ and although I can't for the moment recall what they were I thought the price was OK.
Regards,
K-BIKE

23Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:39 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Brisbane Queensland Australia.

4 hour ride up and through the mountains.

The end result - of course this is through my heavy deams jeans, (Inside left thigh).

Thanks for all the above advice I will do everything suggested - unacceptable condition currently.
(I used to see those big rubber pads on the side of the tanks in photos and thought, Ummm, good for down hill breaking - now - I think, Ummmm I'm not going to catch on fire !)

Fuel tank overheating. A7164b0481b311c747594cc2270d0267

Full tank of petrol - 20Lts of very hot petrol between your legs is not a nice feeling -
and yes, I do understand the physics of the "BANG" factor and what has to be in place...., however, un-cool........

Fuel tank overheating. Au-log12
http://www.marksurman.com

24Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
My legs got burnt like a bad sun burn on the K100 but the knee pads made the K1100 better, the biggest improvement was placing a small auto trans cooler in the return line and having it in front of the radiator. I need to get another one for the chookie so can pass on details, from memory it was about $80.
Also if you have a look on fleabay for go kart fuel coolers and put 2 or 3 in series in the return line. I recall someone here using one and claiming success in the war on hot tanks.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

25Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:16 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Rick G,

Mate I had to reverse the rheostat in the fuel tank level sensor to make the new fuel gauge work, I had been worried that I had done something, even though it was not logical. I feel better now, I'd like to see some pics of oil cooler, I like the idea.

26Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:04 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Mark, check out Charlie's reno thread...around page 12 or 13. He's done the mod with the fuel cooler and it works well.

Last edited by blaKey on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : making the text fatter for you older folk. Settle down, it's a joke...)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

27Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:22 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks blakey, I'm glad its not just me. Charlie is a local so he has obviously had the same problem.

28Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
I think rick and I have the same device mark

heres a pic so you might be able to chase up the numbers

note mine has 9mm barbs ....so 8mm line just fits on it ok

Fuel tank overheating. 20150113

I mounted mine up like this using nutserts to the aluminium frame ..and some uchanel aluminium  and 4mm bolts  washers etc all stainless

Fuel tank overheating. 20150114

this is shown on the 2 core radiator for clarity ...but will be retro fitted again to the 3 core radiator once the fuel mixture and running is sorted out a little more ...(think my orginal afm is faulty after a swap over ...measurements to come )

but the result is a much cooler tank .....it wont solve the heat around the inner thighs altogether ...that's just a constant blast from the airflow from the radiator ...but will go a long way to help

more details of some other mods to air cooling into the under tank area are about to happen

hope that helps

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

29Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:58 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Charlie, I have some down time to do the mod.

30Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Mine is the same as that and is attached to the grill of the fairing with 2 hoses going over the top of the grill to the tank and FPR.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

31Back to top Go down   Fuel tank overheating. Empty Re: Fuel tank overheating. Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
I saw a very nice little oil cooler off an R bike yesterday with its own little fan that I fancy I can install some where within my fuel system.

I will up date with photos when available......

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum