BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Stuck injectors Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:28 pm

aladin1

aladin1
Trying to remove the injectors and fuel tube on my K100 RT for a renovation but I can't get them out........followed my Clymer instructions all the way but they don't want to come out.  HELP!

2Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They can be very stubborn, remove the clip from the top of the injector, it holds the injector to the rail. Remove the rail then work on one injector at a time. Make sure to clean around the base of each injector to prevent dirt going down the port.
I have had to put a lever under the rail at times as the O-rings virtually vulcanize themselves to the rail and head. Soaking some fuel around the base can help release them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:43 am

aladin1

aladin1

They can be very stubborn, remove the clip from the top of the injector, it holds the injector to the rail. Remove the rail then work on one injector at a time. Make sure to clean around the base of each injector to prevent dirt going down the port.
I have had to put a lever under the rail at times as the O-rings virtually vulcanize themselves to the rail and head. Soaking some fuel around the base can help release them.

I've removed the clips but I can't budge either the injectors or the fuel rail.......I'll try some fuel around the injectors.

4Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:12 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I stuck a hammer handle under the rear end of the rail and levered the end ones first.  Took a bit of force but once it was a little loose it came out very easy.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Stuck injectors Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

5Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:44 pm

aladin1

aladin1

I stuck a hammer handle under the rear end of the rail and levered the end ones first.  Took a bit of force but once it was a little loose it came out very easy.
Tried that method with a bit of 2 x 1 timber and........ Off came the fuel rail nice and easy, followed shortly (after some persuasion) by the injectors which are in a poor condition, so it's off to the injector doctor for them and some TLC. I've seen a company online that charges £12.50 per injector for refurbishing which sounds reasonable compared to new ones which don't seem too available anyway.

Now for those seized exhaust nuts and studs..........wish me luck!

6Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Use a nut splitter on the exhaust studs when they are being difficult. We have seen many a broken stud here trying to get those nuts off.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:34 am

aladin1

aladin1
Rick

The nuts were so rusty that I drilled a small hole into them and after applying heat I used a nail punch and hammer to turn them. All of the nuts split and came off better than I expected so that was a good result. Unfortunately two of the studs are a little bent although the threads on all 8 studs are usable.....so do I go all the way whilst the engine is out and try to remove the studs or leave well alone?

8Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:24 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That is a difficult call that one. I personally would get them out but they still can snap easily. I would make them cherry red hot and then let them cool, then give them a solid whack on the end and double nut and they will have the best chance of coming out. Here is where I insert the usual disclaimer like "it's really your call and I take no responsibility at all and if they break it's your problem" and besides I am in Australia. Laughing While the engine is out is a good time to do it. When you put new ones back in use grade 5 steel studs and put never seize on the threads and copper or brass nuts.

9Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:59 am

aladin1

aladin1

That is a difficult call that one. I personally would get them out but they still can snap easily. I would make them cherry red hot and then let them cool, then give them a solid whack on the end and double nut and they will have the best chance of coming out. Here is where I insert the usual disclaimer like "it's really your call and I take no responsibility at all and if they break it's your problem" and besides I am in Australia. Laughing While the engine is out is a good time to do it. When you put new ones back in use grade 5 steel studs and put never seize on the threads and copper or brass nuts.

While the engine is on the bench I've got to try and get them out, it's not worth future hassle leaving old studs in. I'll try your method and if it all goes pear shaped I will reflect on your disclaimer. You may well be at the other side of the globe but so are my mates in Melbourne ha ha!

10Back to top Go down   Stuck injectors Empty Re: Stuck injectors Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:18 pm

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
I got my exhaust studs out HERE

I would suggest using a bit of heat before you attempt undoing

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum