BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Slight bulge on my battery? Empty Slight bulge on my battery? Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:28 pm

slowride

slowride
Hey folks,

I'm doing some maintenance on a K100RT that just came into my possession and had to place the battery on a trickle charger for a couple of days being that it hasn't run for a few months and it was dead. The battery charged up just fine and is holding a charge but I noticed that there was quit a bit of spillage from the battery so I decided to take it out and clean it up a bit. The battery was a little difficult to dislodge from the frame but when I finally did get it out I noticed that the difficulty was in the fact that the sides were bulging slightly on the battery. Does this mean it's time for a new battery?

I appreciate your thoughts on this.....

2Back to top Go down   Slight bulge on my battery? Empty Re: Slight bulge on my battery? Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:43 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi,
That is a clear indication that the battery is on its very last legs and should be replaced. It is due to the lead sulphate reforming into larger crystals and with an old battery the case can actually crack allowing the acid to leak out. I have seen that happen.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Slight bulge on my battery? Empty Re: Slight bulge on my battery? Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:08 am

slowride

slowride
Hey man, I appreciate it. I knew it wasn't good but didn't know how much time I really had. I guess I'd better start huntin' up a new one.

Thanks,
Slowride

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum