BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

51Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am

Danish biker

Platinum member
Platinum member
Chocolate wrote:Hello!

Wouldn't it be great to explain the subject in a way, so that the recipient understands it, WITHOUT getting angry ?!

SAG ?

Two people can look at that same picture, and they can have opposite views of what they're seeing. Keep this idea in mind when explaining a concept. Something that might be perfectly understandable to you might be incomprehensible to someone else.

Cheers
Thanks Chocolate I need that 

RAM suspension  - Page 2 112350

52Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 11:31 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
These help sometimes....................... Green beer

SAG is a measurement or dimension.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

53Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
I am not getting angry. 
A youtube video shows things in any language with the sound turned off. 
There are also videos in just about every language in the world.
If I did not understand how to wire a plug then I would research, but I would not ask the question on a Japanese plug wiring forum without that additional research.  
There is no need to know every technical term, but how can people answer if they don't know the question? If they do answer are you capable of understanding that answer? 
If you go all the way back through this post I advised you to look up SAG on Google so that you had an understanding of what was needed when answers came, but you didn't bother.

54Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 11:39 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ok gentlemen I've used a couple of hours adjusting, measuring, riding.

I put the cable tie on the "rod" (please don't get angry anyone if it's supposed to be called something else  Very Happy  I'm sure most of you will know what I'm trying to say).

Did about ten up and down from central stand with me and my son on the bike. We even went "wrooom-wrooom" while sitting on the bike.

Eventually we ended up getting the tie to move exactly 3 cm. I made a note on my iPhone with picture etc  Laughing 

The visible tread was 48,5 mm.

photo IMG_3339_zpsjzcttxau.jpg

Then I did  the whole thing over with only me on the bike (still did the wroom-wroom each time). Very Happy

Surprisingly I ended up 12,5 mm lower. So visible tread was 36 mm. Took the bike out for same test drive as yesterday. I felt soft. Had left the tie on. When inspecting the tie it was moved fully up. This means the suspension had been worn out (or what ever the right word is).

So I'm defenetly not sticking with the 3 cm movement for solo ride. I'll go back to 2,5 which felt better. Any way thanks a million I got what I asked for which was a "factory setting / start out point"

Now for the sake of argument let's just say I stick with he 3 cm (1/3 movement) this would mean if I take my son to school which is a 15 km ride, I would have to turn the BLACK THING THAT ISN'T A SAG Very Happy 12 mm up and when dropping him off I would have to put the bike in the centerstand which I can't do without putting a brick under the back wheel, and then back the adjustment ring down 12 mm for my 15 km ride home. Seeems like a bad deal. The old original suspension needs absolutely no adjustment when I go from 1-up ride to 2 up ride.

In 30 minutes I'll take my son to town and the suspension is set for 2-up ride. I'll let you know what I think when I get back.

Oh by the way what the f is a SAG (in my country it is a case in court or a work case) Very Happy

55Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
BobT wrote:I am not getting angry. 
A youtube video shows things in any language with the sound turned off. 
There are also videos in just about every language in the world.
If I did not understand how to wire a plug then I would research, but I would not ask the question on a Japanese plug wiring forum without that additional research.  
There is no need to know every technical term, but how can people answer if they don't know the question? If they do answer are you capable of understanding that answer? 
If you go all the way back through this post I advised you to look up SAG on Google so that you had an understanding of what was needed when answers came, but you didn't bother.

BobT aparently I've offended you. If not I might be doing it now.

There are no SAG or BMW K1100RS RAM 2 cm shorter YouTube videos in my language (not even if I turn the sound off). 

lol!

Not in any other language either. Also I don't need to know what a SAG is. There is a damp adjustment and a spring adjustment. That's it.

If you could link to what ever YouTube video you think would solve my problem I'd be happy. But right now you are throwing smoke. The more smoke in this tread the more confused I get.

If I wanted to google or YouTube a solution to my missing adjustment abilities I wouldn't be on this site. I'm asking here to get advice to my problem, not to be guided to google or YouTube unless it is with a useful direct link.

So I got your advice regarding needing to google the word SAG and search on YouTube. My advice to you is if it gets obviously to you that you are not helping me, simply help by not commenting.

Thanks.

56Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ok made the 2-up ride. The tie was about 1,5 cm from the top so no bottoming out (or what ever the proper words would be).

Back home riding solo everything felt ok so I see no point in adjusting back to a "2,5-3 cm tie movement".

Oh well eventually I'll probably give up and put the original suspension on and wear high heels.

58Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 3:16 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Danish I have four sets of boots with thick soles and two sets of lifts, a set of motorcycle road boots, a set of sneaker type Gortex hiking boots and for quick trips two sets of elastic sided work boots one with steel toe caps. With my seat cut down by 2" I can get away with out using the lifts in some boots.  For quick trips I just pull on the elastic sided work boots, and with the four pairs I can cover just about any occasion. The strange thing is nobody seems to notice that my height goes up and down. scratch RAM suspension  - Page 2 44271
Regards Martin.

59Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Corkboy

Corkboy
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:Ok gentlemen I've used a couple of hours adjusting, measuring, riding.

I put the cable tie on the "rod" (please don't get angry anyone if it's supposed to be called something else  Very Happy  I'm sure most of you will know what I'm trying to say).

Did about ten up and down from central stand with me and my son on the bike. We even went "wrooom-wrooom" while sitting on the bike.

Eventually we ended up getting the tie to move exactly 3 cm. I made a note on my iPhone with picture etc  Laughing 

The visible tread was 48,5 mm.

Then I did  the whole thing over with only me on the bike (still did the wroom-wroom each time). Very Happy

Surprisingly I ended up 12,5 mm lower. So visible tread was 36 mm.

That would be what I would expect to happen, i.e. the amount of visible thread would be less with just you than with the two of you.  Remember, the collar (i.e. the round ring) is compressing the spring before you get on the bike. So less compression is needed to support just your weight (and so less thread visible), than when you are supporting the weight of two people.

You have got it right, you just don't know it yet  Very Happy

Remember, the only thing that is supporting your weight is the spring. 

Also, you mention adjusting for one or two people when you drop you son down to the shops etc. It is not an exact science, so don't worry about constantly adjusting it. i will take two people even when it is on the single person setting, if I am only doing it once, but if we are going for a weekend I will adjust it before I go. Similarly, if we are on our holidays, and I have to do a spin on my own, I will not adjust the setting just for that trip. The ride will feel a little hard, but it doesn't bother me.

A lot of other factors affect it, e.g. luggage, how bad the road is etc.

Now that you have the spring the way you like it, you can adjust the compression (the black knob) so that the spring doesn't bounce too much after a bump, but still allows the spring to bounce enough. That is a tougher job than the spring.  

What I did was to set it at it's softest setting (don't know which way on the RAM, it may have H and S on the knob, meaning Hard and Soft, with corresponding arrows). Anyway, set it at the softest setting, go for a spin. You will notice the bike feels softer or bouncy.  Keep hardening the damping until you have gotten rid of the soft feeling. Again, it's more of a feeling than an exact amount.

The rebound damping does not change when you change from one to two people. The same amount of damping is needed regardless of how much the spring is preloaded.

(and as soon as I saw the picture of your shock with the "cable tie" on the inner rod, I knew you were on the right track).

Corkboy '87 K100RS SE (The black one - one of the two bikes I'm sorry I sold)
             '87 K100RS 0140995 (Gone)
             '97 K1100LT 0188024 (Gone)
             '08 K1200GT Wedge - but still a K
             '08 Transalp 700

60Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
MartinW wrote:Danish I have four sets of boots with thick soles and two sets of lifts, a set of motorcycle road boots, a set of sneaker type Gortex hiking boots and for quick trips two sets of elastic sided work boots one with steel toe caps. With my seat cut down by 2" I can get away with out using the lifts in some boots.  For quick trips I just pull on the elastic sided work boots, and with the four pairs I can cover just about any occasion. The strange thing is nobody seems to notice that my height goes up and down. scratch RAM suspension  - Page 2 44271
Regards Martin.
Hi Martin have been searching for a lower seat but no luck.

61Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Corkboy wrote:(and as soon as I saw the picture of your shock with the "cable tie" on the inner rod, I knew you were on the right track).

Ha, ha when I woke up this morning I suddenly just new what the "bib" a cable tie was.

I'm going for a setting that will be a little on the "tight" side for a solo ride, since I often ride with my son.

Regarding the damping I surprisingly had to almost adjust it to its full adjustment. Maybe I just ride too many bad roads.

A million thanks RAM suspension  - Page 2 112350

62Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 5:03 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:
Corkboy wrote:(and as soon as I saw the picture of your shock with the "cable tie" on the inner rod, I knew you were on the right track).

Regarding the damping I surprisingly had to almost adjust it to its full adjustment. Maybe I just ride too many bad roads.

A million thanks RAM suspension  - Page 2 112350

Just in case.  Too much rebound damping will make the suspension harder because it stops the suspension from returning to its normal length before hitting the next bump, so it gets progressively harder as the suspension cant 'unload'. (the term is called "packing down" but you don't need to know that.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

RAM suspension  - Page 2 K-dogs10

63Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Game on BobT RAM suspension  - Page 2 447221

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2006/november/feb23-05-how-to-set-suspension-sag/

Relatively soon it says "the worst that can happen is you get completely confused" I did. Also it keeps referring to the owners manual. You probably didn't realize but my BMW manual doesn't include a shortened RAM.

http://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.

Started out positive when it was mentioned it wasn't rocket science. Well just until I once more had to lift up the front wheel from the ground. Have you read your links yourself? They are not helping me the least. Once more: "That is why I'm on this forum and not googling myself."
RAM suspension  - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Ok I watched the YouTube without sound as you suggested. Relatively quick I could dertermin it wasn't a old K1100RS and it wasn't a RAM suspension. With out sound it made absolutly no sense at all. I turned on the sound and realized I need two people to lift my bike. No matter how many "YES-hats" I put on, the movie didn't help me one bit. I'm not sure if you realized:

1. I bought a suspension that is 2 cm shorter then the original.

2. I just need to know what way to turn in which order to get the damp and huge spring set right.

http://www.sportrider.com/ask-geek-set-your-static-sag

sag= L1-(L3+L2)/2 sorry I'm totally and fully lost. Still no RAM suspension and BMW.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/suspension-setup-101-part-i-setting-sag

Once more no RAM or K1100. And again I need both wheels off the ground. 

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle-suspension-tech-tips-how-to-set-rider-sag-mc-garage

Once more it starts out with the front fork. Can't recall I ever asked about my front fork, which by the way isn't adjustable. The article continues in technical terms which almost made me fall asleep. No help what so ever.

Best of all is this one:
www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Set+up+motorcycle+sag

So this is the best one. You could have fooled me. 6 google links with more lifting the front wheel etc. Not even one BMW or RAM. I'm not sure what you where aiming for???

In one of the links pretty soon in the article a SAG-setting-guru is mentioned and he is quoted regarding it is difficult to set your SAG. NO S... Sherlock. I'm a infantry officer I just want to ride.

Any way thanks for your effort but sorry to say I could have done that myself, but once more just a lot of smoke.

Last edited by Danish biker on Tue May 23, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

64Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
What a dick.

65Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
BobT wrote:What a dick.

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Thanks mate and checkmate

66Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 6:43 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Danish I originally had my stock seat shaved and lowered by a upholsterer. At the moment I am in the process of shaving and lowering a spare seat. I have been given some really cool honeycomb foam by a friend in the US. The shaving and the lowering part is pretty easy just mark out and measure. Do a lot of marking and measuring. I cut it down and roughly shaped it with the wife's electric carving knife.  And used a 4" disc grinder with a worn flap wheel to shape and a foam medium grade sanding block to do the final shaping.Then either recover yourself with marine stretchable vinyl or get an upholsterer. There are a lot of sites out there to help here's the two I used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoq_D2kAZA
http://diymotorcycleseat.com/
Regards Martin.

Last edited by MartinW on Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)

67Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
MartinW wrote:Danish I originally had my stock seat shaved and lowered by a upholsterer. At the moment I am in the process of shaving and lowering a spare seat. I have been given some really cool honeycomb foam by a friend in the US. The shaving and the lowering part is pretty easy just mark out and measure. Do a lot of marking and measuring. I cut it down and roughly shaped it with the wife's electric carving knife.  And used a 4" disc grinder with a worn flap wheel to shape and a foam medium grade sanding block to do the final shaping.Then either recover yourself with marine stretchable vinyl or get an upholsterer. There are a lot of sites out there to help here's the two I used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoq_D2kAZA
http://diymotorcycleseat.com/
Regards Martin.

Nice video. He is doing a GREAT job but I'm not right there yet Very Happy

First i would need a extra seat so i wouldn't f... u. the original. Secondarely I would be concerned about the comfort when the seat is lowered.

68Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I am a motor trimmer by profession so I feel I can comment.

Lowering the seat can work yes.

The factory low seat is still better because the depth of the foam is greater as the base dips in between the frame rails instead of being flat like the standard seat (although the 1100RS seat base might go down the between the frame rails, the 1100LT certainly does).

A standard seat lowered too far especially if it's an older seat with tired foam padding can end up with you sitting on the base as the foam compresses under the rider weight. About as good as a cafe racer modification.  I have a comfort seat sitting on the shelf here at home that looks just fine but you end up sitting on the hard base after 30mins as the foam is too far gone. No need to lower it Smile

BTW Fork oil is adjustable in two ways: you can replace it with oil of a thicker/thinner viscosity and/or you can change the amount of oil also. Each of these things change different properties in the forks.  None of those properties being the height of the bike.

Al

69Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
BobT wrote:The SAG is 2.5 cm you cannot screw the SAG! You do not seem to have looked at anything on the web or you would know what SAG is! 2.5cm is fine for SAG so you do not need to screw the spring compression screw anywhere.
Sag is an amount, a distance, not a device.
Why don't you stick a sock in it Bob your attitude is not at all helpful and totally unnecessary.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

70Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 3:54 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:
BobT wrote:The SAG is 2.5 cm you cannot screw the SAG! You do not seem to have looked at anything on the web or you would know what SAG is! 2.5cm is fine for SAG so you do not need to screw the spring compression screw anywhere.
Sag is an amount, a distance, not a device.
Why don't you stick a sock in it Bob your attitude is not at all helpful and totally unnecessary.

English[edit]. Alternative forms[edit]. stick a sock in it · stuff a sock in it. Etymology[edit]. Possibly from a crude means of muffling a gramophone's speaker. Verb[edit]. put a sock in it (third-person singular simple ...

Im learning english, great Forum ;-)

Cheers

71Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ok gentlemen I hear you about the seat.

Before I bought the RAM I was desperately looking for a seat. The only real BMW bike shop in Denmark could order me a "comfort" seat but they couldn't tell if it was lower of even a "King and Queen" seat.

My present seat seems pretty low so I question that it can actually get lower but I'm all ears. If any one have a link for a RS lower seat it will be apreseated.

If I can get a lower seat the RAM comes off and the original suspension back on.

72Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
The low seat looks like this:
RAM suspension  - Page 2 K75RT%20modified%20Lee

I know this bike is a K75 and not a K1100RS but it doesn't matter, the same seat fits on a K75, a K100 or a K1100, RS or RT makes no difference.

The whole kit required includes: the seat, the black collar around the back of the tank, a new lock set, 2 hooks that screw to the rear bodywork, 3 stick on parts that go on the fuel tank to attach the black tank collar. Theres also a computer mounting box but you won't need that on an 1100, its only used on K75/100-2v

The comfort seat you are referring to you would probably call a king and queen, might be a little lower than standard but not much.

The low seat does come up for sale every now and again, you just need to keep looking.  No other way.

Al

73Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I think this is the most entertaining and informative thread I've read here on rear suspension and height adjustment. It should be a 'sticky'. Very Happy
Rating: study must read

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 RAM suspension  - Page 2 Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

74Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Funny I was thinking exactly the same thing then I read Holister's post.

Very useful thread and explains a few very important things in practical terms.

Now I know how to adjust my sag. Damned if I can remember where I put it though.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

75Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 am

Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:
Now I know how to adjust my sag. Damned if I can remember where I put it though.

I think you'll find you are sitting on it !  cheers

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

76Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
88 wrote:
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:

I think you'll find you are sitting on it !  cheers

Now I remember. I put it with the lardons.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

77Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Holister wrote:I think this is the most entertaining and informative thread I've read here on rear suspension and height adjustment. It should be a 'sticky'. Very Happy

And here I thought I was a total dick  Very Happy Very Happy  Sorry I know I'm pushing it. But yes there are some spot on direct pieces on information so even a none English speaking none techinal d... like me ends up getting the answers needed. I'm thinking I should have credit for keeping on asking and just not getting it.

lol! 

Any way for future treads like this I would recommend you guys to use pictures more. One picture says more the words. A picture of a cable tie around the inner shining rod on the suspension would have made the intention clear with out any doubt. Just a suggestion to all you when dealing with guys like me. Not all bikers know or want to, take apart and put back together their bike.

I also finally know what the term SAG means. I could live a million years more and be happy not knowing, but now I know. So I adjusted the SAG again for soloride. The 1/3 SAG (3 cm) was just too soft for my liking. Also the suspension wore out. I went back to 2,5 cm and took excat same bouncy counrtyroad. Felt better and the tie was 1,5 cm from the top.

AL-58 if ever you find a seat you know will fit my RS, on eBay or similar please send me a link RAM suspension  - Page 2 112350

Right now I won't be thinking of SAG's or BMW's since I tomorrow will take my 16 old son to Ramstein concert RAM suspension  - Page 2 723598

How ever I of course have an additional question. Right now my brother in law is shortening the central stand. Either it will work or not. We will see, how ever my already shortened sidestand hits the extortion since it is too short to rest in he original rubber mount. I need some heat-safe tape or rubber I can put around the side stands leg. If you mention a brand etc. 99 % sure I won't be able to find it I need Denmark. If any one have anything suitable I'll gladly pay.

78Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 1:25 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Danish a low seat with all the bit's needed to fit it, but dear in my book. It did start out at $650.00 and these are getting thin on the ground in OZ. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-factory-low-seat-for-k75-k100-k1100-/182452624994?
Regards Martin.

79Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
MartinW wrote:Danish a low seat with all the bit's needed to fit it, but dear in my book. It did start out at $650.00 and these are getting thin on the ground in OZ. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-factory-low-seat-for-k75-k100-k1100-/182452624994?
Regards Martin.

Hmmmh wonder how much shipment will be Rolling Eyes

Long way from Down Under to up North. But thanks it looks pretty cool.

80Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
www.motorworks.co.uk or www.motobins.co.uk or www.jamessherlock.co.uk will have them from time to time and are well known on the forum as being reliable to deal with.

Also, a few of us are heading down to France in September for a camping trip.

This would be a good run to check out your new set up and compare your sag with others. An excellent camp site down at St Leon sur Vezere where we have previously based ourselves surrounded by some rather nice bike roads and eating places.

Last edited by 92KK 84WW Olaf on Wed May 24, 2017 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

81Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Holister wrote:I think this is the most entertaining and informative thread I've read here on rear suspension and height adjustment. It should be a 'sticky'. Very Happy
Yeah - all apart from the unnecessary slanging match. 

(A slanging match is an angry quarrel in which people insult each other.)

Having offered my suggestions at the start of the post (I really don't mind if forum members disregard my comments if they don't find them helpful or, if I am technically wrong, if someone politely corrects me - and thereby educating us all), I disengaged because I didn't enjoy reading the way the thread was developing. I do enjoy posts containing humour and healthy banter, but sometimes lines are crossed and it all goes a bit sour and distasteful.

Sharing, learning and keeping things respectful is the firm foundation that this fantastic forum is built on. Please, let's keep it that way!

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

82Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 2:24 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Leprachaun Very drunk Very drunk Very drunk Very drunk Very drunk Very drunk Very drunk drinking-wine

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

83Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:www.motorworks.co.uk or www.motobins.co.uk or www.jamessherlock.co.uk will have them from time to time and are well known on the forum as being reliable to deal with.

Also, a few of us are heading down to France in September for a camping trip.

This would be a good run to check out your new set up and compare your sag with others. An excellent camp site down at St Leon sur Vezere where we have previously based ourselves surrounded by some rather nice bike roads and 

When I got to the "eating" you had me Very Happy

84Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 5:28 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Well, maybe you might make it down!!! I have my ferry booked for 2nd September.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

85Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Wed May 24, 2017 9:26 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Danish a low seat with all the bit's needed to fit it, but dear in my book. It did start out at $650.00 and these are getting thin on the ground in OZ. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-factory-low-seat-for-k75-k100-k1100-/182452624994?
Regards Martin.
Now $450 Buy it Now?

The last one I bought I was very lucky as the didnt know what he had and advertised it as a low seat for an R75.  No bids bar mine.

I've always liked the low seat on the sidecar as the reduced CofG by lowering my weight improves the handling noticably.

Al

86Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Thu May 25, 2017 8:44 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Born Again Eccentric wrote:
Yeah - all apart from the unnecessary slanging match. 

(A slanging match is an angry quarrel in which people insult each other.)

Having offered my suggestions at the start of the post (I really don't mind if forum members disregard my comments if they don't find them helpful or, if I am technically wrong, if someone politely corrects me - and thereby educating us all), I disengaged because I didn't enjoy reading the way the thread was developing. I do enjoy posts containing humour and healthy banter, but sometimes lines are crossed and it all goes a bit sour and distasteful.

Sharing, learning and keeping things respectful is the firm foundation that this fantastic forum is built on. Please, let's keep it that way!
Totally agree with that Paul. I was impressed with the good humoured way in which Danish responded.
rendeer
PS. we would call it 'a slagging' here in Oz.... it was a little one sided.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 RAM suspension  - Page 2 Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

87Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Holister wrote:

I was impressed with the good humoured way in which Danish responded. 

Humor is always a good way to avoid a pissing contest how ever I'm sure I did my part in getting the tread sidetracked. Sorry for that.

Any thoughts on what I can put around the part of the leg of my now shortened side stand that can take the heat from the exhaust? I don't want the metal from the side stand against the exhaust (it also makes an anoying "Klonk" sound everytime I put the sidestand up).

88Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:
I don't want the metal from the side stand against the exhaust (it also makes an anoying "Klonk" sound everytime I put the sidestand up).
K-bikes have a rubber, heat resistant bumper to prevent metal to metal noise. Attached is a K1100 exhaust diagram with the part circled.
RAM suspension  - Page 2 Stand_10

89Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Laitch wrote:
Danish biker wrote:
I don't want the metal from the side stand against the exhaust (it also makes an anoying "Klonk" sound everytime I put the sidestand up).
K-bikes have a rubber, heat resistant bumper to prevent metal to metal noise. Attached is a K1100 exhaust diagram with the part circled.
RAM suspension  - Page 2 Stand_10

He, he sorry I'm teasing you now. RAM suspension  - Page 2 112350

My side stand is shortened so it won't reach the original rubber bumper. What is now touching the exhaust is the middle of the leg of the side stand. So I need some tape or rubber to put around the leg.

You know: The RAM is almost an inch shorter so the side stand is now also at least an inch shorter (original length will tilt the bike).

photo IMG_3437_zpsbobl5gll.jpg

photo IMG_3438_zpsyusp4ona.jpg

Last edited by Danish biker on Fri May 26, 2017 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

90Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Get out your bayonet, cut down the bumper and tape it to the leg. Laughing

91Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Laitch wrote:Get out your bayonet, cut down the bumper and tape it to the leg. Laughing

Never gonna happen. I still have a unshortened leg and if/when I decide the RAM is just not worth it (maybe when I get a lower seat) I need the bumper as original as possible since the original suspension will go back on. Also it catches the central stand from its present position. So can't be moved.

Come up with a better solution Very Happy

92Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:
Laitch wrote:Get out your bayonet, cut down the bumper and tape it to the leg. Laughing
Apply for a grant from Aarhus Universitets Forskningsfond or submit it to them for their consideration. They might come up with something. You might come to enjoy its rhythmic knocking if you just leave it as it is, plus it will warn people of your whereabouts. Very Happy

93Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
Danish biker wrote:
Apply for a grant from Aarhus Universitets Forskningsfond or submit it to them for their consideration. They might come up with something. You might come to enjoy its rhythmic knocking if you just leave it as it is, plus it will warn people of your whereabouts. Very Happy
RAM suspension  - Page 2 44271

On the other hand, you could get a short length of silicone hose to cover the leg.  I recommend the silicone because rubber hose may or may not be able to withstand the heat from the exhaust.

Cut it lengthwise, slip it over the leg and tie it with some wire.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

94Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Point-Seven-five wrote:
Laitch wrote:
Danish biker wrote:
RAM suspension  - Page 2 44271

On the other hand, you could get a short length of silicone hose to cover the leg.  I recommend the silicone because rubber hose may or may not be able to withstand the heat from the exhaust.

Cut it lengthwise, slip it over the leg and tie it with some wire.

Hmmmm silicone hose. I'll have to google that and see what comes up in Danish. But it is suggestions like that I'm searching for.

95Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Laitch wrote:Apply for a grant from Aarhus Universitets Forskningsfond or submit it to them for their consideration. They might come up with something. You might come to enjoy its rhythmic knocking if you just leave it as it is, plus it will warn people of your whereabouts. Very Happy

Ha, ha drove by Aarhus University today. Should have stopped and asked. 

I guess I'll have to go by the general automechanic and ask him. I was just hoping for a link like:

The-super-heat-resistance-duck-tape-also-sold-in-Denmark-online-here-just-click-on-this-link

lol!

96Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Fri May 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:I was just hoping for a link like:
The-super-heat-resistance-duck-tape-also-sold-in-Denmark-online-here-just-click-on-this-link

Silicone tubing seems like it might work. Check with the Logistics support centre. If they buy in bulk, maybe they'll get the NATO discount and you can get a few pieces from them. Check with your contacts. Laughing

97Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Sat May 27, 2017 6:20 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
If you could give me an excampel so where silicone tubing is used in general I might have a chance. If I know what industries etc. uses these tubing I would know where to ask and what to look for.

98Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Sat May 27, 2017 8:53 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

99Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Sat May 27, 2017 9:00 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Silicone heater hose is used on some cars.  I get mine at an auto parts supply.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

100Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
If that doesn't work you can get silicone bake ware and cook ware too. Its also rather heat resistant and comes in various colours....

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

101Back to top Go down   RAM suspension  - Page 2 Empty Re: RAM suspension Sat May 27, 2017 9:59 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:If that doesn't work you can get silicone bake ware and cook ware too. Its also rather heat resistant and comes in various colours....
RAM suspension  - Page 2 Screen10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum