BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Water in oil Empty Water in oil Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Ff223

Ff223
Thanks for the welcome messages. It seems I may have bought some trouble. Fitted the new starter relay yesterday and started her myself for the first time and it's not good. Water in the oil and low compression on 1 and 2 cylinder!! Can anyone advise me on this. Can the injector seals deteriorate and cause loss of compression? And can water get into the oil at the pump. The general vibe I'm getting is these head gaskets never fail so it's wise to look elsewhere before taking head off? Only 20750 genuine miles on her. In the last 7 years only 4 miles were put on her in 2022 which is a bit suspicious to me. Any way I'll have a look at the injector seals first then take it from there. I think my introduction 'never meet your heroes' may have been a bad omen!!!
Cheers James

2Back to top Go down   Water in oil Empty Re: Water in oil Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:02 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The Bricks have a combined water/oil pump and if a seal goes cross contamination can occur. There is a weep hole underneath the pump check it for leaks. Bricks need to be ridden and when left sitting the pump seal can harden and the rings can stick causing low compression and or oil consumption. Injectors are on the other side of the valves they do not inject straight into the combustion chamber.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down   Water in oil Empty Re: Water in oil Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:31 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Ff223 wrote:[size=16] . Can the injector seals deteriorate and cause loss of compression?

No, that's highly unprobable.

And can water get into the oil at the pump.
No, the design of the pump prevents it.

The general vibe I'm getting is these head gaskets never fail so it's wise to look elsewhere before taking head off?
They do fail...

Only 20750 genuine miles on her. In the last 7 years only 4 miles were put on her in 2022 which is a bit suspicious to me.
Never trust a K100 odometer...

4Back to top Go down   Water in oil Empty Re: Water in oil Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:53 pm

Ff223

Ff223
Thanks everyone, I'll start digging

5Back to top Go down   Water in oil Empty Re: Water in oil Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:42 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Howdy. Thread moved from Troubleshooting - General to Troubleshooting - Engine & Transmission. This is done for easier searching in the future for anyone who might need to look it up for vital information.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

6Back to top Go down   Water in oil Empty Re: Water in oil Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:06 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Ff223 wrote:Thanks everyone, I'll start digging
Before you dig too deeply, let's pretend that the Brick has only been ridden four miles in the last seven years. It wouldn't be the first Brick to have been neglected that much.

A Brick that hasn't been used much in seven years is likely to have crankcase oil diluted by condensation; condensation can be the source of the water in the oil. A leaking water/oil pump seal can also contribute to water in the crankcase, as Martin has indicated.

A Brick that has been ridden only four miles in seven years is likely to have stuck rings causing loss of compression during a compression test. Remove all the spark plugs, spray fogging oil into each cylinder and then do the compression test with the throttle twisted wide open.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum