BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Yep, their experiences are all pretty much what I worked out too. Except that I used Suzuki discs and aluminium spacers inside of them against the hub to centre the pads and the discs. Also, I gained an additional 7mm per disc in diameter, the brake pads sweeping close to the edge of the disc's surfaces, and the discs hard against the inside of the calipers to almost touch the two 10mm caliper through-bolts. It was worth the trouble.

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day TWB ,
just studying the pics of your exhaust mount , it looks really tight in there between the tyre sidewall & the side of the exhaust , just wondering how much room you had with the standard rear rim , looking at mine ( I've got a Staintune ) I have about 40 - 45 mm of space , that Motad must be a pretty fat little sucker ! , hope the experiment is still working for you .

JR Melbourne Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol going from a 110 x 90 to a 160 x 60 dont leave a lot of room .....i too have a staintune .....ill let ya know how it goes ....awesome exhaust btw ...cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

charlie99 wrote:going from a 110 x 90 to a 160 x 60 dont leave a lot of room cheers

In my case I went from a 140/80VB17 to the 160/60ZR18. There's barely 6 -7 mm on the left and the same on the right hand side, but as it's said "Close enough for government work", and that's all the tyre and exhaust need before they become intimate. The construction of the Motad might be the reason it's so close on the left hand side. The right hand side is the same clearance as stock, so the 'new' rear wheel has an offset. A K100 centre stand comes up between the tyre and the exhaust on the left to the rubber stop. A later K1100 centre stand does not. This allows the tyre to take up that space. I didn't check the clearance on a stock or 'other' brand exhaust but did begin to suggest measuring that clearance to Charlie this weekend on our ride. Dunno if we got there with the banter going on.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
one problem un measured looks to be the stand holder dohickky on the satintune ...it looks to be verry close to an inteference fit with the wider wheels . but maybe a little cut and weld would fix that ....once the stand can be obtained (currently working on that one )

i think i noticed that the angle of the front part of the staintune seemed to kink out slightly more from the collectors ...but ill put a measuring stick across there as soon as i can ...i guess the drive shaft side is a good reference huh ?

oopsed myself ....should have said 130 x 90 x 17

Last edited by charlie99 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

The overall 'allowable' space you have back there is a good number to measure and record, but also the current space from the left edge of your tyre to the exhaust - and note that Staintune exhaust to stand bracket for potential interference. I reckon the right hand side swingarm space will not change much.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
45 mm from left hand side of the current tyre to staintune

right hand side is small finger width ...9 mm ?

me maths horrible that it is, says it should fit ok .

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day TWB ,
could be on the trail of a 4.5x18 rear , you mentioned they are common on many models ie K1 , K100RS 16V , R1100RS , is it safe to assume it will be fine ? , or better still can you give me the part number of yours that we know fits ?

Ciao

JR Melbourne Australia

The part number will vary depending upon the colour of the wheel. Suffice to say that the 4.5 x 18" rear wheel from the aforementioned wheels are all the same fit. There will be this 'n' that to deal with, depending on exhaust (aftermarket or OEM) and your patience with it all. It is not exactly a simple bolt on/ride away proposition. Last night, for example, I put a standard length, aftermarket rear shock on after removing a Works Performance 19mm shorter version and lo and behold the clearance on the left went away when the bike was placed on the centre stand. Do the maths on it and it becomes clear; the wheel is pushed further down in the travel. It's fine when the bike is on its spring and rolling along. I also had to use a K1100 centre stand and even that requires adjustment, albeit, minor mods.

If you've the time ride up from Melbourne to the Araluen Hotel Saturday night and have a squiz. My bike and myself will be there. There'll be some kicking of tyres and telling of lies, I'm sure. But you can see the truth for yourself.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i have news ...ive snagged one !!! ...its boxed, paid for and hopefully leaving soon ....yippee !!!

with many great thanks to emlyn in blighty !...cheers to you !!!!!

Yes! That deserves a frothy one.
Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 502531

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
TWB I ws looking over you pictures of your last ride to Kingaroy, Your bike looks darker red than Blakey's is it a stock colour?? Keith

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day All ,
I've secured myself a second hand rear wheel now comes the centre stand , had a look at motobins & they show 2 stands , the 1st one ( part no 91509 ) has a description of "improved K stand" K100RS 16V suitable for 1986 on , 2nd says K upgrade kit 1986 on , all fittings req ( part no 91509K ) the pics supplied look the same , do you guys know which is the correct one to get ?

Ta

Ciao

JR Melbourne Australia

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Both is the same stand, 91509K is a kit with bushings and clips included.
Since later one is the cheapest, it should be a easy choice.

Inge K.

Take note that you will be doing some minor mods to the centre stand's left foot and to the foot lift lever since the left foot hits the edge of the wider tyre on a K100. I fabbed a piece of Kevlar and riveted it to the foot lift lever so that it 'stands' the foot away from the tyre the thickness of the Kevlar. It is a temporary solution to a problem. It loosened slightly due to vibes and heat during the three thousand plus kilometers to Araluen and back. I will probably use a tapered head 5mm screw and Nyloc nut and counter-sink it into the Kevlar so that only Kevlar is touching the exhaust and not the rivet or screw head. I reckon your results will vary depending upon what exhaust you're using. Mine is a Motad and very thick near this area. Also, the right hand foot touches down under load (with pillion and gear) on tight right handers. It's not a worry when riding solo.

I'll take happy snap that shows what I did when I improve upon it.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
news .....new wheel arrived today

pics later tonight

amazing huh!!? under 7 days from blighty

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Pictur47

a couple of chips round the rim ...but nothing a little sanding and a good lick of paint wont fix ........hmmmm the same colour as my new "city panniers "...

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Pictur48

thanks emylin !!!

That's there yellow's a flash K1 wheel colour! Just wait 'til you go round a tight bend with a nice, big, wide black hoop of radial rubber under your hind end. You go, boy!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sheepish grin .....i figure if i can buy, slow like, ill end up with one of them k1 things ....or the best parts of them .....giggle

tyres wont be happening this week ....drat !!! the trip south has emptied the coffurs ...but i could see the centre stand dissapearing real soon ...till a good (cheep) k1100 one comes around ....or the "their holyness", masters at work send me off somewhere remote again .

mt isa is on the list ...and i need to get in and out before summer really starts ....phew a warm one today .

ima thinking i might keep the same colour scheme that i have already started ..black spokes with silver rim ......what do you guys think ?

Last edited by charlie99 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

K75cster wrote:TWB, I was looking over your pictures of the ride to Kingaroy. Your bike looks darker red than Blakey's. Is it a stock colour?? Keith

The bike was originally 'Perlmutt', which is Mother of Pearl or Motorsport pearl white. The P.O. resprayed it a BMW catalogue colour, metallic red, after an unplanned get-off. I don't have the colour code, but it's quite red.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice score Charlie! Cool

OG

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
TWB yep thought it looked richer, I wonder if Charlie will stay Yellow or go Black with his back wheel.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
called in to see mick at goodna .....he recons he'll fit up a tyre for under $190.00 and their in stock ...pirelli of corse ...he seems to think the balence of the current "demon" on the front and the new rear should be good .

now still pondering the colour scheme .....i think black but i will add some silver to the outer edge into about an inch ...just inside the 3 spoke line ......i think it will lighten the look just a little ...thoughts ???

blakey said if i leave it yellow ....i could park over the other side of the parking lot ...with the other mob .....but he's like that ..grin

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
blakey said if i leave it yellow ....i could park over the other side of the parking lot ...with the other mob .....but he's like that ..grin

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 44271

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Charlie99 & G I T H ,
time for an update please , when are you going to fit up Charlie ? , I want to see how she turns out !

JR

Melbourne Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i would love to have it on jr ...still fighting with widening the centre stand a little ...gih has his going ok but the stand sits a little low !!!??

caferacer has mine at the momment ...were trying for an offset of another few millimeters ...this will involve spreading the bar across the stand a little ....a heatup of the lefthand leg to get some more angle as well .....well thats my theory ...(so its doomed to failure )

the welder guys have it in hand and i dont know how its done exactly .. another thought we had was to round off the angle of the nose of the stand feet proper ...as to give a little easier lift ...(mine seemed really hard to get on and off the stand ...prolly cause the nose had been welded up some and presented a sharp leverage point ) that and a little addition to the left hand bottom foot to even up the level after the offset mod ,,,probably a little mufler bracket relocation work as well ...

more news as it happens

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Pictur56

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie - what about slotting the base frame of the stand to allow more movement across.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I'm using the K11 stands and wheel/tyre mod as is with my K100. Chazza is correct that it sits a little low but has only ever touched down on the right hand side when hitting a dip in a tight right hander whilst loaded with pillion, packed panniers and a 19mm shorter shockie. I've got a proper length Italian-made Bitubo on now, which is much firmer, with no dramas.

Part of the clearance issue is with the 'arc' of the K11 sidestand in that it comes to rest in the retracted position against the fatter Motad muffler too soon. Shortly an exhaust modification I'm planning will take the stand's stopping location into consideration. Let's see how we go then.

Last edited by Guest in the House on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i think we thought of mooving the whole lot to the left somewhat ...by use of a sandwich plate ....but the sidestand dohiky would bind with the exhaust pretty quick

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
These are really minor issues with my bike, the minimal clearance a trade off for having a really decent set of radial rubber on the road. I think the variety of exhaust (aftermarket) we use make it more complicated.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes minor issues for sure

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I reckon a thin slice cut off the inside of the left stand leg (and subsequent welded on patch to re-reinforce it) to clear the left edge of the back tyre a bit better, and a trimmed down area of the exhaust where the sidestand comes to rest and I'll be laughing...
OZ for "she'll be golden"!

Pics when I get internet access and don't have to use my Android phone, tiny bloody thing.

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Ok so here are some pics of Charlies centre stand undergoing modification.

This is how it started of(side stand removed)

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-015

Cut the mid brace out and reshaped left leg(arrow shows old position)

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-016

Some nice new feet.

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-017

Here it is with new feet welded on and the new brace ready to be welded tomorrow.

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-018

Welded up ready for test fit(going to check it on my bike on weekend)

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-019

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-020

Sandblasted the legs before rewelding,will paint it after testing.

Once its on i think Charlie and i are gunna adjust the keeper on the muffler.

Last edited by caferacer62 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 170874

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow !!! ....(speachless)

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the update Charlie & G I T H ,
just a quick question for Ghost , just how much clearance do you have right now with your centre stand and the original mod ( 10mm shaved off foot ) to the tyre edge ( it's just that Charlie's mod will be beyond my resources ) & if I combine that with perhaps taking out the 2mm wheel spacer ?

Ta

Ciao

JR

Melbourne Australia

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
If you take out the 2mm spacer - and are using a 160mm tyre on a 4.5" wide rim - it will touch on the right hand side, and that's more likely depending upon what brand/model of tyre you use.

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
And on the left hand side Ghost ?

JR

Melbourne Australia

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
JR looking at the pictures you might find that a mate with a welder and a grinder could do similar just by welding a tube of mild steel beside the existing leg add a foot then cut the old one short and plug it. A everyday muffler joint would do it for you. (just a thought) Keith

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for posting progress on this guys! Cool

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day K75cster ( Keith )
not a bad idea , I'll see how I go when I do a test fit up with the 18x4.5 rear that I have found , if it's only a few mm's I should be able to find that much room with a bit of carefull grinding here & there .

Ta

Ciao

JR

Melbourne Australia

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
That's the spirit. Keith

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Looking forward to seeing Charlies new back wheel in place.Going to test fit Charlie's modified stand onto my bike this weekend just to make sure all is ok.(posted a couple of pics of it welded up)

I have seen GTIH's in the flesh and it does look the goods.

Now the hunt for the appropriate sized rims for some nice radials.

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Ok here are some more pics. I test fitted it to my bike on saturday to check for problems. Seems ok.

Here it is finished, i put in front of my k100 stand.Comes up he same width after being modified.

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-021

Here is a pic from above the muffler.

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-022

The centre stand arm hangs out the same as the sidestand even after being widened.

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-023

And from underneath. Just have to modify the rubber keeper to let the stand sit up a bit more.

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-024

All painted pretty ready to fit to Charlies bike.

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 2012-025

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow bert 2.0... great job there mate ......looking forward to getting it fitted up and ...hopefully.... the new big wheel

thanks

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
nice work, caferacer.

Is there any issue with the extreme offset of one leg relative to the other leg? I'm wondering if the offset will introduce imbalanced loading on the legs and put undue stress on one. I wonder also if setting the bike on the stand will be easy as when the legs are symmetrical. Maybe not a problem; after all the bike only weighs 250kg.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just to clarify ...maybe this will help .

as fitted

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Pics_010

i tried to get an exact rear shot to show the offset in relation to the standard wheels as it hits the ground ...so you get the idea

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Pics_011

the gap on the left hand side seems good to go for the extra ...predicted 20 mm wider on the left side tyre

Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Pics_012

all in all he has done a fantastic job

and seems strong ...level and easy to lift on coarser than smooth concrete

some minor rubber damper, side stand issues to resolve ...but that is existing ...but it will be great to get it all nice tidy and without the vibrations against the exhaust

great work mate !!!

Last edited by charlie99 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Sweet! Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 112350 I'm looking forward to seeing her with the new wheels Chaz.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
@ Charlie;

have you got bushes between the 'floorplate' of the stand and the gearbox? How high are they??

That'll solve my problem of having fitted a longer rear suspension, but now having both tyres touch the ground at all times (yes, even when on the centre stand ;-) )

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
rene ...no mate its all standard ...the gearbox to c/stand bracketing is just bolted up .

im surprised that you have both wheels on the ground mate

but heres an idea ... what about making a plate of , i dont know maybe 8mm thick aluminium with holes drilled exactly the same as the mount and use it as a spacer plate ? this might work better than trying to fiddle with individual ones under the plate and each bolt .!

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
K11LT have spacers and longer bolts, as it have taller wheels than the K11RS.

Charlie....both wheels on the ground......due to a longer shock.

Inge K.

100Back to top Go down   Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah saw that inge didnt register till i had posted ....dyslexic ...yes thats me (plus dufus ) being eager to help i often overlook some stuff we already know ...

better feed those little grey cells with some more alcahol, im starting to make sence .bounce

101Back to top Go down   Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:better feed those little grey cells with some more alcahol, im starting to make sence .bounce
Hey.......it`s weekend........soon all things would make sence. Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 - Page 2 502531

Inge K.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum