BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 am

fearlesspk

I was doing an oil change and when I removed the oil filter cover from the oil pan to access the filter a lot of oil just came rushing out. I put on a new filter but when I put new oil in the oil still comes rushing out from that area near the filter somewhere. Any ideas on what this can possibly be or what I should be checking?

Last edited by fearlesspk on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 am

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
did you put the cover back after installing the new filter? Wink)

3Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 am

fearlesspk

I did not because I wanted to make sure it didn't leak. Or is it supposed to fill up with oil all around the filter?

4Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome, fearlesspk!

The oil filter cover is a part of the oil pan bottom, so it need to be present to keep the oil inside.

Inge K.

5Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:20 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Treat those small bolts on the cover gently when you do them up, do not try and tighten them too much, they strip VERY easily.
And how do I know??? Sad

6Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Inge is correct.

It's not like an external oil (spin-on) filter like cars. The filters on these K bikes screw-up into the crankcase and are actually surrounded by the oil.

And as RT said, go easy on those bolts!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:18 pm

fearlesspk

Ok, that is such great news! I just got this bike and I was used to my old bike which the oil filter was out in the open.

Thanks everyone for all the great responses!

Now I just need to get a new battery from somewhere and it will be good to ride Smile

8Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Domingo

Domingo
I,m totally surpised of hearing that the cover is compulsury for not having any oil leak.

Could anybody explain why it works in such an odd way?

9Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:17 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi, my guess is that by putting the filter inside the oil pan, they made the engine more compact and the oil filter is less prone to tangle on something.
And you dont lose oil at the filter joint.
Best regards
JAP

10Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:06 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Or said in other words: just remove the cover, and look into the widest oil sump draining hole you`ve ever seen.

Inge K.

11Back to top Go down   Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Empty Re: Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Inge K. wrote:Or said in other words: just remove the cover, and look into the widest oil sump draining hole you`ve ever seen.

Inge K.

Serious Oil Leak (SOLVED) 44271

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum