BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Steering damper for sidecar outfits Empty Steering damper for sidecar outfits Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:15 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Most outfits need some sort of steering damper to counter the low speed handlebar shakes.
One problem with our faired bikes is that there aren't any convenient fixing points for a hydraulic damper, so when I built my outfit I came up with this idea for a friction damper. Simply it's an O ring under the knurled bearing adjuster ring which bears on the steering column. From memory, it was about 4mm section and I used a cut down early Gold Wing oil filter O ring.

Steering damper for sidecar outfits Img11

To set it up, firstly set the correct adjustment for the head bearings without the O ring in place. Then mark the position of the knurled adjustment ring with respect to the steering column (I use a wax crayon). Now fit the O ring and tighten the knurled ring to where the marks line up. This ensures that the head bearings are correctly set.
How long does the O ring last, you may ask? Well I still have the original ring in place, so perhaps I should leave it another year before giving a prediction?......That would be a nice round quarter of a century. cheers
Paul.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Paul, appreciate your post, but wasn't the K1 equiped with a steering damper? Seeing as your fix has lasted quite some time maybe not needed for yourself, but there are K's with dampers.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Steering damper for sidecar outfits Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
ReneZ wrote:but wasn't the K1 equiped with a steering damper?
The K1 did also have a Marzocchi fork and other fork bridges, similar bits was
also used on the 16V.

Inge K.

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rene,
The K1 wasn't around in '88 and looking at pictures of the K damper (on this forum) I think fitting one to an earlier K might not be easy or economical.....has anybody done it?
Cheers,
Paul.

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Thank you Paul
I test rode again yesterday and the low speed handle bar head shaking has gone, the cheap o-ring done the trick.

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers, Waz, the best things in life are free (well at least very cheap). Steering damper for sidecar outfits 112350

Paul.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great suggestion paul ....yet again

onya waz

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum