BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   My side panel repair Empty My side panel repair Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:14 am

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
I thought I would post my side panel repair from seeing 88K's repair in another post.
First, I took what was left of the hook and glued it back using super glue.
My side panel repair Side_p19
Next I found an old plastic license plate frame (it's about 1/8" thick) and cut out a piece to size.
My side panel repair Sd_3_110
I then scribed the outline of the hook onto the plastic and then cut it out with a coping saw giving me this.
My side panel repair Side_p20My side panel repair Sd_312
Then I clamped it in place and glued it. I originally used super glue, but it didn't hold up, so I reglued it using JB Weld.
My side panel repair Sd_611
I then filed it down to match the contour of the hook, and so far, so good
I hope this is of help to someone, and I realize there's a lot of room for improvement.
Just thought I'd try to give back a little for all the help you lot have given me. My side panel repair 112350

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

2Back to top Go down   My side panel repair Empty Re: My side panel repair Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:34 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
That's good sound lateral thinking, well done, will keep it in mind for mine

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

3Back to top Go down   My side panel repair Empty Re: My side panel repair Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Nice repair Brickee. Lucky you had the broken off bit for a template. Mine was long gone unfortunately. Very resourceful My side panel repair 112350

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   My side panel repair Empty Re: My side panel repair Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
Why not use the other side panel as a template, it's just the opposite hand. Failing that, I'm sure one of the lads near you could let you use on of theirs for a template. You just might need to use heavier stock to make up for the missing hook.

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

5Back to top Go down   My side panel repair Empty Side panel repair update Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
If at first you don't succeed----
That repair lasted 1 season. I had replaced the tank grommets with new ones the winter before and they made the side panel really tight. I was afraid the top button would break off before it came out, but it just broke the repair. I had a feeling it wasn't beefy enough, but thought I was on the right track. So back to the drawing board.
This time I used 1" x 1/8" aluminum stock and cut it to size and used a coping saw to get the proper shape.
My side panel repair Sc_upd10
and bolted it for good measure
My side panel repair Sc_upd11
A shot of it in place on the bottom arm.
My side panel repair Sc_upd12
Not especially pretty, but I'm hoping a lot more functional and longer lasting!
Cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum