BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Best way to clean painted wheels? Empty Best way to clean painted wheels? Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:35 pm

BlueWater

BlueWater
So I have this new to me K100 Wulf Gerstenmaier special which I did quite a bit of cleaning on when I got it but the wheels still need quite a bit of attention. Looks like they are painted silver and the paint seems to be in good nick but there is quite a bit of road grime/brake dust built up.   Used the search feature and it seems like just dish soap and a toothbrush seems to be the preferred method?  Anything else to try?  Thanks for the attention.

Best way to clean painted wheels? IMG_0999
Best way to clean painted wheels? IMG_1007
Best way to clean painted wheels? IMG_1006

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The simple answer is "with a great deal of patience".
I have said many times that the mug that designed those Y spoke wheels should be made to clean them for evermore as a punishment.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Best way to clean painted wheels? Empty I think Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:00 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I think you may find that after you get these off & close inspection, that you may have some actual corrosion coming up from the aluminum surfaces under the paint, possibly because the area was not properly prepped before.
 My machine was badly corroded from years of exposure in storage in salty ocean air.....

My solution was to get a big round water heater spill tray & plug the drain hole.....using that for a scrub pan.....a couple of small 2X4 pieces around the edge to support the wheel rim on center. I wasn't worried about the tyres, cause I planned on replacing them anyway.

I used a combination of chemicals, including phosphoric acid and or industrial strength commercial  "Purple Cleaner" along with a couple dozen "wire toothbrushes" from the home improvement center and a couple of boxes of latex gloves. Followed by doses of clear water from a spray bottle for rinsing. 

After scrubbing all the old finish + all the black corrosion out of all the tiny pits & corners, I refinished the wheels with "dupli-color" wheel paint + 2 layers of clear from the local auto parts store.

If I were doing it again, I would probably powder coat them next time.

As I remember, it took me about a week for each wheel. As I said, mine were really nasty. 
Before:
Best way to clean painted wheels? Front_10

After:
Best way to clean painted wheels? Photo010

Regards, Ibj...

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Looks like another job for "The Dishwasher"  Twisted Evil

Next time the wheels are stripped right down

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

5Back to top Go down   Best way to clean painted wheels? Empty Re: Best way to clean painted wheels? Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:03 pm

BlueWater

BlueWater
The unfortunate thing is I just replaced the tires. I know I should have taken the time then to deal with this then but I was itching to ride her.

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Big effort ibjman ! , snaps to you

JR

Melbourne Australia

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
I reckon your thing would look better with 3 spokers Bluewater , it would really suit the bike , perhaps the 4.5 inch rear upgrade ?

JR

Melbourne Australia

8Back to top Go down   Best way to clean painted wheels? Empty ooops, forgot Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Forgot to mention that along side the commercial purple cleaner, and the phosphoric acids, I also had a gallon jug of Simple Green that was mixed with water in various combinations.

I think a soda or glass bead blaster would have been a better alternative.

Regards, Ibjman

9Back to top Go down   Best way to clean painted wheels? Empty Re: Best way to clean painted wheels? Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm

BlueWater

BlueWater
So got after one side of rear wheel this morning. Dish soap/water with toothbrush followed by 0000 steel wool.  Not bad took about an hour.  Not perfect but at least a start.  Man those corners are a B****!

Rear I cleaned
Best way to clean painted wheels? IMG_1027

Front I didn't
Best way to clean painted wheels? IMG_1028

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum