BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Empty Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:38 pm

I had some play in the rear wheel coming from the pivot bearings on a paralevel final drive. I pulled the drive, flushed/repacked/retorqued the bearings and fixed it but the bearings are a little crunchy and will have to be replaced.

While the drive was off the bike I tried to pry out the uni joint without success. Do I just need to use more force to get it off?

Also, has anyone tried these bushes to replace the bearings. http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/bushings.html

2Back to top Go down   Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Empty Re: Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The bearing replacements from rubber chicken work well till a bit worn then because they wear oval they cant be adjusted. Those bearings need constant attention similar to the spline lubes on a monolever set up.
The bearings are available aftermarket but are just as expensive as OEM

The UJ comes out with a solid jolt they have an internal circlip as the K100 front UJ.
When you put it all back together make sure the UJs are in line or Phased or you can get bad vibrations. I didnt do mine corectly first time and when I finally did it correctly it was much smoother.
Make SURE the rear UJ is clipped back in properly or a disaster WILL result. The UJ creeps forward and starts getting out of centre because there is not much spline and then wacko all hell breaks lose and if you are lucky you stay on till it stops and if you are real lucky the housing and swingarm are useable.

When you phase a drive shaft the ends have to line up but because the shaft has a rubber insert they dont quite line up (under full power the rubber gives a bit and so then they line up) make sure the rear section is leading the front section. You will find that there is a position where this happens by about 4° and if you go 1 spline futher it is much futher out.
HINT:- they are a real PITA to line up as it has to be done almost blind and the best way is to leave the swing arm pivots out on the right side and you can see where the UJ is lined up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Empty Re: Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Cheers Rick, I'll try a bigger pry bar next go when I get the new bearings. I didn't phase it on reassembly, it's hard enough to get back together as it is. I now notice a significant increase in vibs around 140KPH and above, probably due to phasing of the shaft. I'll pull it off and try again.

4Back to top Go down   Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Empty Re: Bevel Box Uni Joint Removal Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Well a bigger bar didn't get it off, a good thumping did, the shaft and spline both show rust.
I also hit my little finger hard and I think it's turning black Sad

I decided to pull the bearings now and replace them both. 
Including delivery, Munich has them within $10 of motorworks at the moment !!!

[edit]
Yes it's really swollen and turning black. At least I got the bike bits apart. When it looks really evil I'll post a pic Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum