BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Good video about splines failure Empty Good video about splines failure Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:25 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin

2Back to top Go down   Good video about splines failure Empty Re: Good video about splines failure Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:18 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I think one of the big contributors to these failures has been the quality of the lubricant. Many people have said the recommended BMW lubricant is not optimum for the task and nowadays many are using Hondamoly or similar.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Good video about splines failure Empty Re: Good video about splines failure Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:17 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
A bit of information. Today I took a ride. Ambient temperature was around 35c and the ride was a mix of expressway and twisty stuff around the coast road. Got home in about 45min.

I have a point-and-measure IR thermometer, so I took some temperatures at different points:
a. sump was around 87C
b. clutch housing 60C
c. gearbox 60C
d. front and back of the shaft drive hosing 55C

I think that the temperature gets a bit higher inside.

Now the upper temp working limit for normal high temp grease is around 120C and it may get to that at the point of metal to metal contact where splines rub together. This is probably the reason we use Moly assembly/spline lube compounds.

4Back to top Go down   Good video about splines failure Empty Re: Good video about splines failure Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:17 am

sprocket

Silver member
Silver member
Ned:

I have used Digital temp units for years..
They tell a lot about hot spots and they are a reasonable purchase for the shop.

Good Idea to share.

Sprocket"

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum