BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   OEM Speed Sensor - Acewell - BEP 3.0 Empty OEM Speed Sensor - Acewell - BEP 3.0 Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am

GeoffP63

GeoffP63

Hi all,
I have an Acewell 2853 and BEP 3.0 and want to use the original speed sensor on the final drive.
(Neutral, indicator and high beam lights are working on the unit)

At this point I should mention that the bike is not running

The wiring diagram shows the green + wire connecting to the Acewell speed sensor but as I’m not using that I assumed it would go to the SPD input on the BEP 3.0

Unfortunately, there is no reading on the speedo when I spin the rear wheel.
From what I’ve read an approximate setting for the speed value is 2000 and the number of pulses per revolution is 6.
I've searched through the unit’s menu settings but cannot find were to set the number of pulses per wheel revolution.

Below is the wiring diagram that came with it and a pic of the actual model.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
OEM Speed Sensor - Acewell - BEP 3.0 Acewel10
OEM Speed Sensor - Acewell - BEP 3.0 Pictur10

2Back to top Go down   OEM Speed Sensor - Acewell - BEP 3.0 Empty Speed sensor Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:44 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
In the OEM setup,  holding a soldering iron beside the sensor,  will read about 60 km/h, from memory.  That's with the iron on and the ignition on.

Glyn

Glyn
I gave up trying to use the OEM sensor on my Acewell CA 80 and I didn't want to use the supplied unit on the front wheel. Furthermore I didn't want to wreck the original lunch box cluster unit by taking the small Moto board out. So I bought eBay (UK) item 284258214363 which is a proximity sensor 12volt NPN. You have to feed 12 volts to it and fit a .01mfd decoupling capacitor in the signal line. The old sensor in the hub then can be drilled out to fit. The sensor has a led in the top that flashes red each time a pulse is sent and it flashes 6 times per full turn of the rear wheel. This is set into the Acewell along with the circumference of the wheel and it works a treat.OEM Speed Sensor - Acewell - BEP 3.0 Img_2017

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Have you tried connecting the Pink "Speed-" wire on the speedo to the SPD output on the BEP?  The BEP is taking the OEM speed sensor input and amplifying it.  I understand that there is a setting jumper in the BEP that converts the SPD output swing from 5V to 12V.  Have you tried looking at that configuration?  Have you tried to measure the output on the SPD pin of the BEP using either a multimeter or a LED?

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Glyn

Glyn
I have to admit I'm not using the BEP unit. I have built the 4 relay unit from the info on these pages. The Neutral light works fine as does the start enable. All other functions on the Acewell are working but I have not started the engine yet so will need to check the tacho when the bike is back together. I had to use the Acewell thermostat sensor supplied as the BMW unit showed 169°C cold. I've only spun the rear wheel to check the Speedo works so I have not checked it's accuracy yet.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry Glyn, my question was to GeoffP63 the original poster.

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Glyn

Glyn
Sorry Rob, I'm not as young as I used to be and didn't read it correctly. My first post was to try to help others who are fitting the Acewell unit. This sensor I bought for less than £7 does the trick without the need for interface panels, the only other component needed is a capacitor in line.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum