BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 pm

49BMWK1

I am building a K dashboard tester powered by an ESP32.
For almost all signals, it is either a ground signal, or a 12V signal, so just have to translate 12V to 3.3V digital signals, and vice versa.
But for the speed, i fail to to generate an adequate signal. I know the sensor is a passive hall effect, which sends a relatively small voltage to the dash circuitry ( about 250mV ?)
All my tests with ESP32 IOs ( PWM signal, DAC output) do not make the needle moving....
I have tested with Caramba and my computer header output, it works....

My question is: does anybody already emulated a speed sensor with an Arduino, ESP32 or other microcontroller ?

2Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 22, 2024 1:21 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
How strong is the output from the ABS sensors?

I don't know is this would help but it might:
Speedo Healer

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 22, 2024 5:50 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The output from the VR sensor is about 1V - 2V peak to peak sinusoidal.  I think 250mV is too low.  When testing my TGPI boards, I use a function generator outputting a variable frequency sine wave of 2V p-p between 5Hz and 100Hz and it drives an after market speedometer just fine.

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

4Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Thu May 23, 2024 6:06 am

Jordan53

Jordan53
Silver member
Silver member
49BMWK1 wrote: I know the sensor is a passive hall effect
What is meant by this description?
I ask because I think of Hall Effect devices as being active.
That is, they require a voltage feed, and have 3 terminals:  Voltage in,  Ground and Voltage out.

An inductive pickup could be described as a passive sensor. It has no voltage feed, but generates a pulse from its coil when a magnet moves near it.

VIN: xxx0149621

5Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Thu May 23, 2024 1:50 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
you're right with the description of an active Hall effect sensor.  the speed sensor in the rear drive of the K-bike is variable reluctance.  It does not need a voltage supply to activate it so it is passive.  It uses the principle of reluctance (magnetic resistance) to induce a current in a coil which has a toothed wheel revolve under it.

6Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 29, 2024 3:22 am

49BMWK1

robmack wrote:The output from the VR sensor is about 1V - 2V peak to peak sinusoidal.  I think 250mV is too low.  When testing my TGPI boards, I use a function generator outputting a variable frequency sine wave of 2V p-p between 5Hz and 100Hz and it drives an after market speedometer just fine.
thank you for the information.

I tried with the DAC signal from the ESP32, which can output from 100mV to 3V.
I can see the signal with the oscilloscope, but it doesn't fire the speedo.

As it works with an headphone output from the computer or from a mobile, with about 100mV peek to peek, i suspect an interfacing impedance problem ?

7Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 29, 2024 8:14 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Maybe there isn't enough current drive in the EDP32 to trigger the speedometer amp in the K100 cluster. Maybe add an emitter follower circuit after the DAC output to see if that helps.

8Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 29, 2024 8:30 am

49BMWK1

robmack wrote:Maybe there isn't enough current drive in the EDP32 to trigger the speedometer amp in the K100 cluster.  Maybe add an emitter follower circuit after the DAC output to see if that helps.
i have two different solutions:
 - adding an amplifier
- building a signal moving under and over zero, as it looks to be with the sender...

9Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 29, 2024 9:29 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
If your output is swinging between 0V and 100mV (instead of +/- 50 mV), then feed your DAC output through a series 0.1uF capacitor to average out the positive offset.

All along, I've made the assumption that you are testing the BMW OEM dashboard because you mentioned Karamba. Is that a correct assumption? It's never been stated explicitly so.

10Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 29, 2024 11:24 am

49BMWK1

robmack wrote:If your output is swinging between 0V and 100mV (instead of +/- 50 mV), then feed your DAC output through a series 0.1uF capacitor to average out the positive offset.

All along, I've made the assumption that you are testing the BMW OEM dashboard because you mentioned Karamba.  Is that a correct assumption?  It's never been stated explicitly so.
yes it is an OEM BMW K dashboard tester....

I have resolved the problem with a capacitor and a resistor... which make a +/- 3V signal instead of a 0 /+3V
Now i am able to drive the speedo.

11Back to top Go down   emulating speed sensor signal Empty Re: emulating speed sensor signal Wed May 29, 2024 4:56 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Fantastic news! cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum