BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

101Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Wed May 26, 2021 5:44 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
No workshop will touch the bike because it's too old. Getting to the sprag clutch is a ballsache because you have to dismantle the bike but it's a relatively easy job. When you take the idler gear/sprag clutch assembly apart, do it in a clean bucket because the sprag has 12 small springs in it that will do their best to disappear out of sight. Sprag clutches are still easily available:

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=40&Ct=CA&SbCt=BA_10_40_CA_20&spPage=2

My bet is that yours just needs a really good clean. I had a similar problem a few years back and I did get a lot of dirt out of the sprag; I've had no problems for the last 70,000 miles / 112,000 Kms.

102Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Wed May 26, 2021 5:48 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:But can I actually buy a new Sprag clutch?
You can. The USA prices are in the photo below. #5—in the diagram and the parts list—is the problem child—the sprag cage (freewheel cage). The other parts plus #4 and #10 would like be replaced by a dealer; you never know.
Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Sprag_10
Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Sprag_12
Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Sprag_11

103Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Wed May 26, 2021 7:01 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry Laitch - my mortgage has just ended and I'm not taking out another one Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

104Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Wed May 26, 2021 7:40 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:. . . my mortgage has just ended . . . 
cheers

105Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:23 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ok ladies and gentlemen.

After the diesel fuel flush the sprag clutch worked for about 1.200 km. Don't know how many starts and stops, but probably many since I normally only take short rides to and from work.

Yesterday when I had to go home from work, and was busy since my wife and I was celebrating our 20 year Anniversary same evening (midsummer where we have a bonfire in our garden.....Danish tradition) the sprag didn't engage. I jerked the bike back in second gear and made the "clutch drop out" several times but NOTHING. I called the wife and asked her to pick me up (didn't score any points there).

Any way I took the chance to jump start the bike. Never tried that before. I put in and second etc. etc. and I was lucky to get the bike started and even luckier I could cancel the wife  Cool

I'm NOT replacing the sprag clutch in the middle of the season (with 4 weeks vacation coming up in 1½ week...... YES they could be used for working on the bike, but I will rather ride it). So this will be a winter job.

I'm thinking I'll do the diesel fuel job again. This time with a few adjustments:

In stead of "just" hitting the starter, with the plugs out 4-5 times with 15 minutes between, I'm thinking I'll be doing it all day and the leave the fuel in the engine over night and then do it again next day for maybe 10-20 times.

ALSO I'm thinking I'll reuse the oil I'm draining before I put in the diesel fuel. Its only been in the bike for 1.200 km and its pretty hard to find here in Denmark (only one place) also it is expensive. So when I do the "half engine oil and half diesel fuel job" (start the bike let in run at 1.500 rpm until the ventilator starts 4 or 5 times with 20 minutes rest each time) I'm thinking I'll just use 2 liter of the engine oil I have from a earlier "experiment" with solving the problem (recommended by Chris Harris on YouTube). I already ordered a new filter (by the way any recommendations on the torque on the filter?).

Also any recommendations regarding the oil and diesel fuel mix. I used half and half, while the bike was running until the fan kicked in? 

Any last words????????

Or additional adjustment proposals?

Also I think there is a post here showing how to replace the sprag. Someone probably already gave me the link, but if any one will post the link again please do so.

106Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:44 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Hello again, I'm  delighted that the DEISEL FLUSH worked. Not knowing your level of mechanical knowledge my suggested Times and Figures, allowed for a large Safety Margin, Had i been working on the bike myself i would mix 25% engine oil to 75%DIESEL FUEL, and run engine for longer. once the bike is running right a long ride is the best, Now you know its not mechanical wear/tear but residue that's the cause, getting as much residue out as possible is the goal, may i suggest you use, DEISEL ENGINE MOTOR OIL, for the next 3k miles or so, this type of oil contains more cleaning agents and will help to clear more residues than standard oils. Very Happy Very Happy

107Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:33 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:Hello again, I'm  delighted that the DEISEL FLUSH worked. Not knowing your level of mechanical knowledge my suggested Times and Figures, allowed for a large Safety Margin, Had i been working on the bike myself i would mix 25% engine oil to 75%DIESEL FUEL, and run engine for longer. once the bike is running right a long ride is the best, Now you know its not mechanical wear/tear but residue that's the cause, getting as much residue out as possible is the goal, may i suggest you use, DEISEL ENGINE MOTOR OIL, for the next 3k miles or so, this type of oil contains more cleaning agents and will help to clear more residues than standard oils. Very Happy Very Happy
First of all: Your replay is VERY highly appreciate  cheers

I'll comment you point for point and ask a s... load of questions  Wink

My mechanical knowledge is mainly limited to things like this:

Getting the engine (frame) off and on and getting the bike to run after this (and only with help from places like this).

Fixing brakes (including replacement of disk and pads etc.).

Taking off wheels etc.

Doing the WD-40 job inside the engine.

But when it comes to working inside the engine (except for the WD-40 job) I know Jack Sheite (but again with help from places like this I can probably manage).

So you would use about 0,9 liter of motor oil and about 2,6 liter of diesel fuel, and not leave the bike running at 1.500 rpm until the fan kicks in, but rather take a ride on the bike (how fare and what would your max rpm be?)?

I'm not sure I'm fully satisfied that it actually is residue and not mechanical wear but I understand your point.

Regarding the Diesel motor oil, I guess the list is long. Maybe not as long as engine oil for gasoline operated engines but still. And during my research I've been told many things. Among other: "Use a diesel oil for trucks!" Since I'm very much in the dark I'm being very cautious when I get advice, especially if its from someone I don't know, so I have a tendency to examine the subject "here and there" and getting second, third etc. opinions. So if you should point me to a specific Diesel engine oil, that one would be able to find here in Denmark (probably the most know companies), what would it be?

Last but not least:

1. Should I do the diesel fuel job as I did last or should I do it, as I suggest above? Or should I do it a total different way?

2. Is it ok to reuse the oil I have in the engine now (naturally if it looks clean)?

108Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:14 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:Any last words????????
We're supposed to ask you that.  Smile

Regarding oil filter torque: Do it the way you've been doing it, if it hasn't been leaking or you haven't needed to wind the old filter off with a wrecking bar.

109Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:09 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Laitch wrote:We're supposed to ask you that.  Smile

Regarding oil filter torque: Do it the way you've been doing it, if it hasn't been leaking or you haven't needed to wind the old filter off with a wrecking bar.

😂😂 I’m simply asking because I have a VERY bad habit to tightening things way too much

110Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:25 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Very Happy
Jack Shite is a well known friend Very Happy Very Happy  OK ,YES follow your suggestions with the FLUSH, the more time spent better the results. With bike in garage use 25/75% mix. FOR road use use 50/50% mix. I Would run at about 4000 rpm max. DEISEL ENGINE OIL Don't worry about brands, use what you find locally. OR ask a local truck operator they may give you 4ltr FREE. Filter run up to end of thread by hand then just A gentle nip up don't over tighten it . Anything else just ASK Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 161205 Very Happy

111Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:09 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
:omg:After all this time  idea2 idea2 idea2 with use of Rolling Rd/Brake test rollers or similar With Diesel fuel in engine and ignition immobilized, place rear wheel in rollers, engage 3 rd gear apply speed to roller's as required. This will ensure max penetration of DF to clear residue  like

112Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:13 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
moriarti wrote:. . . with use of Rolling Rd/Brake test rollers . . .
I always keep a set of those in my knife drawer.  Smile

113Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:47 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
moriarti wrote:. . . with use of Rolling Rd/Brake test rollers . . .
I always keep a set of those in my knife drawer.  Smile
One day Laitch you will cut yourself in that bloody drawer Very Happy

114Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
moriarti wrote:One day Laitch you will cut yourself in that bloody drawer Very Happy
Thanks for the caution, moriarti. Kevlar frisk gloves with BMW logo now added to my wish list.  Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 112350

115Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:17 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
moriarti wrote:One day Laitch you will cut yourself in that bloody drawer Very Happy
Thanks for the caution, moriarti. Kevlar frisk gloves with BMW logo now added to my wish list.  Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 112350
still in that drawer then Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271

116Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:32 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
moriarti wrote:still in that drawer then Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271
I'm getting the sense that this is a cutting rejoinder, but I won't be sharp enough to get its point until I've had another coffee.

117Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:51 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
moriarti wrote:still in that drawer then Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271
I'm getting the sense that this is a cutting rejoinder, but I won't be sharp enough to get its point until I've had another coffee.
NO NO Laitch, you grab a coffee im trying to sharpen my wits but, i cant get in the drawer its full  lol!

118Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:27 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:Very Happy
Jack Shite is a well known friend Very Happy Very Happy  OK ,YES follow your suggestions with the FLUSH, the more time spent better the results. With bike in garage use 25/75% mix. FOR road use use 50/50% mix. I Would run at about 4000 rpm max. DEISEL ENGINE OIL Don't worry about brands, use what you find locally. OR ask a local truck operator they may give you 4ltr FREE. Filter run up to end of thread by hand then just A gentle nip up don't over tighten it . Anything else just ASK Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 161205 Very Happy

There was once a young boy named Jack Shit. Jack Shit was the only son of Awe Shit who married Oh Shit. In turn, Jack Shit married No Shit. The couple had six children: Holy Shit, Give a Shit, Full of Shit, Bullshit and a pair of twins: Deep Shit and Dip Shit. When Deep Shit was an adult, he  married to Dumb Shit, a high school dropout.
After 15 years, Jack and No Shit had a divorce and No Shit married Ted Sherlock, she became No Shit Sherlock. Meanwhile, Dip Shit married Lot of Shit. Full of Shit and Give a Shit married the Happens brothers, they had a double wedding. The newspaper invited everyone to the Shit-Happens wedding. Bullshit traveled around the world and returned home with an Italian bride, Piece of Shit.
After all the wedding ceremonies and family reunion, everyone lived happily ever after. :joy::joy::joy:
So back to business.
Would you go with the 25% / 75 % run engine at 1.500 rpm OR the 50% / 50% and ride the bike with max 4.000 rpm???

119Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote::omg:After all this time  idea2 idea2 idea2 with use of Rolling Rd/Brake test rollers or similar With Diesel fuel in engine and ignition immobilized, place rear wheel in rollers, engage 3 rd gear apply speed to roller's as required. This will ensure max penetration of DF to clear residue  like

I’m 100% sure I have a couple of rolling Rd/Brake test rollers in my garage…….NOT 😂

120Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:14 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
One should know when to keep ones mouth shut and defiantly not put ones thoughts in PRINT Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 610153 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 610153 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 610153 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271

121Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:15 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:
moriarti wrote:Very Happy

There was once a young boy named Jack Shit. Jack Shit was the only son of Awe Shit who married Oh Shit. In turn, Jack Shit married No Shit. The couple had six children: Holy Shit, Give a Shit, Full of Shit, Bullshit and a pair of twins: Deep Shit and Dip Shit. When Deep Shit was an adult, he  married to Dumb Shit, a high school dropout.
After 15 years, Jack and No Shit had a divorce and No Shit married Ted Sherlock, she became No Shit Sherlock. Meanwhile, Dip Shit married Lot of Shit. Full of Shit and Give a Shit married the Happens brothers, they had a double wedding. The newspaper invited everyone to the Shit-Happens wedding. Bullshit traveled around the world and returned home with an Italian bride, Piece of Shit.
After all the wedding ceremonies and family reunion, everyone lived happily ever after. :joy::joy::joy:
So back to business.
Would you go with the 25% / 75 % run engine at 1.500 rpm OR the 50% / 50% and ride the bike with max 4.000 rpm??? BOTH

122Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:One should know when to keep ones mouth shut and defiantly not put ones thoughts in PRINT Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 610153 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 610153 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 610153 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271

That would (never) be me 😎

123Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:19 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Jacks story now that's funny Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271   

I would do BOTH NO SENCE IN CUTTING CORNERS Very Happy

124Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:23 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:
BOTH

Ok help me out here brother. So you would:

1. Put in 25 % oil and 75 % diesel fuel and run the bike at 1.500 rpm until the fan starts. Wait 20 minutes and repeat 3 more times.

Then:

2. Drain the 25 % oil and 75 % diesel fuel.

3. Put in 50 % oil and 50 % diesel fuel and ride (how many km) with max 4.000 rpm?

125Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:24 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:Jacks story now that's funny Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271   

I would do BOTH NO SENCE IN CUTTING CORNERS Very Happy
 Extremely 😎

126Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:36 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
OK now we can change things 25/75% mix run then wait 5min,repeat 8/10 times.

50/50%mix ride for about 20km now. New filter, Diesel engine oil if you want  Very Happy Very Happy

127Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:09 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
moriarti wrote:OK now we can change things 25/75% mix run then wait 5min,repeat 8/10 times.
It might help if you would tap your heels together three times, close your eyes and repeat, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home," after the final repetition.

128Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:47 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Laitch wrote:It might help if you would tap your heels together three times, close your eyes and repeat, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home," after the final repetition.

😂😂😂😂 EVERYBODY hates a smartase (and I’m a total one myself).

I know I keep asking additional questions but I just don’t know wtf I’m messing with so I need good advice 😏

129Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:13 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
All advice is good ,its what you do with it that matters, we all learn from asking questions, they help keep the grey matter active. Hopefully you have learned something from all this, most importantly, you are part of this bloody marvellous family of K lovers Worship

130Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:EVERYBODY hates a smartase (and I’m a total one myself).
Self-hate might interfere with your keeping an accurate count of flushing cycles. Give yourself a little love and you might not need to tap your heels together.  cheers

I had a healthcare provider tell me that I had a chronic condition causing mild to severe irritation in some people I encounter. I've learned to accept that and live with it. Smile

Last edited by Laitch on Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

131Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:21 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

132Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:53 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Laitch wrote:

I had a healthcare provider tell me that I had a chronic condition causing mild to severe irritation in some people I encounter. I've learned to accept that and live with it. Smile

Very Happy I hear you brother

133Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:00 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:Hopefully you have learned something from all this, most importantly, you are part of this bloody marvellous family of K lovers 

Without this group and especially personal help from two here I would never have accomplished getting my ruined engine off and the "new" one on. 

Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 212902

I´ll be starting on the job when I get off work today so I have to final questions (I´m probably lying and will be back for more, before the day is ended  Cool).

1. If I don´t go for the diesel engine oil, will it be ok to reuse the oil I´m draining out of the bike today (its only been there for 1.200 km)?

2. When I do fill the engine with diesel oil you already mentioned I should fill above the glass. But should I pore in so much the I actually get the level all the way up to the "filling hole"?

134Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:26 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
1 yes use that oil if you wish.
2 NO NO only fill to RED DOT on the sight glass. This applies to any oil.
3 The only time i said fill to max was with DIESEL FUEL to flush the engine.

Last edited by moriarti on Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just to be CLEAR)

135Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:02 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:1 yes use that oil if you wish.
2 NO NO only fill to RED DOT on the sight glass

Sorry MY BAD. I wrote Diesel oil. It was suppose to be diesel fuel. So we can agree I do what you wrote earlier, when it comes to the job with out spark plugs and diesel FUEL? And that being poring 5 liters of diesel fuel into the oil refilling hole?

moriarti wrote:Yes DIESEL FUEL from gas station, YES remove spark plugs, allows engine to spin faster and is less stressful on starter. Engine must NOT start/run with pure diesel in the oil system OK. YES use starter button to spin engine over. FILL to ABOVE red dot or measure 5ltr of mix. Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

136Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:09 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
YES YES now you have it clear in your head. GOOD LAD .When i refill the oil i put 3ltr in run the engine for 5min or so let it settle then Topup to red dot Very Happy Very Happy

137Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:24 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:YES YES now you have it clear in your head. GOOD LAD .When i refill the oil i put 3ltr in run the engine for 5min or so let it settle then Topup to red dot Very Happy Very Happy

I know everything you wrote was/is KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid or Keep It Stupid Simple and I appreciate that a lot. Especially with the language difference details can often get lost in the translation.

The reason I keep asking (often about the same stuff), is because I'm preparing myself (getting the right picture in my head, step by step) even though I already got the "picture".

I'll be starting this afternoon and hopefully tomorrow the bike is ready for another 1.200 km (or more if I finally catch a little luck when it comes to the sprag).

138Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
KISS??  Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 161205 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 44271 thats a good one you keep asking until you are sure,

No problem with that Very Happy Very Happy

139Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Cheers. The diesel fuel is in and I’ll hit the starter several times before bedtime. And repeat tomorrow morning until lunchtime. Then drain the bike and add 1 l oil and 2,5 l diesel fuel.

To be continued

Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Bfd74010

140Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:59 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
A picture says a thousand words.No Panic in this garage then Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 87464 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 87464

141Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:A picture says a thousand words.No Panic in this garage then Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 87464 Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 87464

One has to remain calm at all times (even if the parachute doesn’t open), that much I have learned, and experienced in life 😎

Have probably hit the starter for 10-15 seconds now for 30 times during the past 6 hours now 😏

142Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:58 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Is the engine turning when the starter is running?

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

143Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:37 am

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Is the engine turning when the starter is running?  

Yes i looked through the refilling hole and I feel are coming out where the sparks plugs was 👍

144Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:58 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Danish biker wrote:
Point-Seven-five wrote:Is the engine turning when the starter is running?  

Yes i looked through the refilling hole and I feel are coming out where the sparks plugs was 👍

Those are good signs.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

145Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:18 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
Startet the day hitting the starter.

Did the laundry and got it out to dry (between I went to the baker).

After several hours I had hit the starter 15 times for 10-20 seconds. Last evening at least the same amount of times.

Spark plugs in.

Drained the diesel fuel.

Went to town to buy 2 liter of some cheap semi synthetic bike oil.

Went to another town to shop for dinner (never got any lunch)

Put in a bit less then 1 liter oil and then diesel fuel.

Startet the bike at about 1.000-1.500 rpm and turned it off when the fan kicked in. Did this 10 times.

Drained the  1/4 oil and 3/4 diesel fuel.

Put in “half and half” oil and diesel fuel.

Trained my bad shoulder.

Took a 20 km ride doing 2.500 rpm most of the time and 4.000 rpm the last 3 km.

Drained “half and half”.

Took out oil filter and put a new in.

Put back the oil Olaf recommended.

Put the snowplow on (faring).

Took down the laundry and folded it.

Peeled potato’s.

Got the pork roast ready and in the oven (will post pictures later 😎).

Now I’m sitting relaxing with my sister who is staying the weekend and drinking red wine.

Somewhere between all this I cleared the garden after our midsummer party a few days ago, walked the dogs (3 times), removed a lot of weed in my driveway.

So there is only one thing, that was recommended, that I didn’t do and that was to put in Diesel engine oil. Mainly for two reasons:

1. Not sure what I could get or should get.

2. Olaf recommended a car (gasoline) engine oil for my bike.

Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 72865210

146Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:13 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
That looks a great menu,im sure i can smell the pork roast already.
Not a bad job for a brother who is HANDY with WD40 Very Happy Very Happy

147Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
moriarti wrote:That looks a great menu,im sure i can smell the pork roast already.
Not a bad job for a brother who is HANDY with WD40 Very Happy Very Happy

Its a roast that also could be cut into pork chops (Homer Simpsons favorite meal = pork chops). The trick (and Danish tradition) is you leave the skin on the roast, and cut it all the way into the meat in small lines. Put lots of salt between (in the lines), and on top of the skin.

This gives you a very crispy “snack” on top of the meat 😎

Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 20a8a410

148Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:02 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
So there is only one thing, that was recommended, that I didn’t do and that was to put in Diesel engine oil. Mainly for two reasons:

Here you go, take your pick

[url=https://automobileremedy.com/maintenance/best-diesel-engine-oil-guide-and-product-review/#:~:text=The diesel engine oil is also very similar,a range of additives that enhances their properties.]Best Diesel Engine Oil of 2021: Your Ultimate Guide and Product Review - AutomobileRemedy.com[/url]

Mike

149Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:44 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member
mike d wrote:So there is only one thing, that was recommended, that I didn’t do and that was to put in Diesel engine oil. Mainly for two reasons:

Here you go, take your pick

[url=https://automobileremedy.com/maintenance/best-diesel-engine-oil-guide-and-product-review/#:~:text=The diesel engine oil is also very similar,a range of additives that enhances their properties.]Best Diesel Engine Oil of 2021: Your Ultimate Guide and Product Review - AutomobileRemedy.com[/url]

Mike

Sorry can’t see your picture (or link). But if it occurs again I’ll do the job over and use diesel oil forever (or till the bike breaks down). Always good to have on last “untried” option.

150Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:53 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member

151Back to top Go down   Starter or Sprag clutch failure  - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter or Sprag clutch failure Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:16 pm

Danish biker

Danish biker
Platinum member
Platinum member

That was better but still absolutely no clue to what diesel oil is best for:

“I got an old Brick with a none working Sprag clutch”

Some say “find and old tractor oil”. Your links seems to show “up to date 2021 oils”.

When it comes to putting DIESEL engine oil in a GASOLINE engine, I’m a chicken.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum