BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Possible valve problem? Empty Possible valve problem? Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
While preparing to tear down my 85 K100RT and removing the exhaust, I noted that of the four exhaust pipes only front pipe (closest to the front wheel) has a bit of sheen/moist oil at the top of the pipe. All other pipes simply had dark carbon in the top of the pipes. I am thinking that this leans toward a valve problem where the wet area is in the first pipe. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

2Back to top Go down   Possible valve problem? Empty Re: Possible valve problem? Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Possible but the most likely explanation is that it was left on the side stand and as with many bricks the oil from above the cylinder drains into the bore and slowly past the rings into the cylinder and if the ex valve is open then into the exhaust pipe.
Give it a compression test then squirt some engine oil into each cylinder.
150 is good 140 is ok 130 is fairly good but if the comp is down to say 100 at 1st test and rises to 140-150 after the oil then rings are cactus but if comp is down and does not come up with the oil then valves are cactus.
You could do a leakdown test which will tell better where the problem is but you will probably not need to do it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Possible valve problem? Empty Great feedback Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
Rick,

Never considered the side stand - it actually leans a great deal more than it should - sounds like it may be a good possibility. I have drained the oil already and started to take it apart. I was very concerned about running the engine when I first saw it, as the fluids were really looking bad - all of them. I am going to have to do a visual when it is on the bench. What are my options for checking compression once the motor is drained and removed from the frame?

Great feedback - thanks.

4Back to top Go down   Possible valve problem? Empty Re: Possible valve problem? Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you can get the starter onto the engine and fasten the engine down then it should be possible to do.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Possible valve problem? Empty Re: Possible valve problem? Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
If you got the engine off I'd go for a leak-down test. Gives you a bit more info.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Possible valve problem? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum